Horsens to Vejle: From bad to good.... - Exploring Holland, Germany and Denmark on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

September 20, 2013

Horsens to Vejle: From bad to good....

The campground at Horsens Husodde has an enviable setting with a scenic outlook on Horsens fjord. Like so many Danish campgrounds, it is well run with excellent facilities. Particularly notable was the new kitchen/lounge building with a large flat screen tv. After making dinner, we enjoyed using the room and visiting with the camp cat.
Camping at this point in the fall makes breaking camp a bit more work as the dew on our tent is very heavy - both inside and out. Our tent was so wet that it was like it had been in a heavy rainstorm.
The theme for our bike in Denmark seems to be tire problems. After dealing with the multiple flats on the trailer, Barry noticed that the rear tire on our bike was bulging in an alarming way. Bulges on the sidewall are never a good thing. We rode gingerly to a bike shop and sure enough, the mechanic confirmed that it was a matter of time before it would blow. Glad that didn't happen miles from nowhere. Fri Bike Shop in Horsens proved to be a fun stop for us. We always love finding new bike shops and the resident dog, a black lab named Jack,made us feel most welcome. A new back tire installed, with kevlar coating to prevent punctures, and we were ready to roll. Hope this is the last of these pesky tire issues.
Next door we saw a bakery that looked to good to be true. The fellows at the bike shop told us that it had won an award for being the best bakery in Denmark. Not having had a pastry for at least a day, we figured it merited a stop. Wow, it is certainly the best bakery we have visited this trip - and it rivals the best of what we enjoyed in France last year.
Once again, we are having a late start due to bike problems, but it's only about 45 km to Vejle, so we headed off. The first problem was discovering that the campground was locked and closed for the season. As we had travelled off the route to get here, we had no idea where to go. Luckily a woman came along who had a smart phone and she phoned the neighbouring Dan Hostel for us. We also discovered that our Cycling Federation map is outdated and that the wrong location was showing for the hostel.
Eventually we found the sign and rode for several km. before we reached the hostel. It was late and we were relieved that they had room for us. Seeing that we were tired and sensing that we had had a rough go, the man working at reception told us to go in to the dining room as he would like to fix a plate for us, "on the house". Well, a plate is an understatement. Out came bread dipped in balsamic and olive oil, family style servings of tossed salad, Danish beet salad, roast potatoes, corn on the cob and onions, roast pork with blue cheese sauce and tiramisu for dessert. What an incredible way to finish our day. We have spent long enough in Denmark to appreciate the genuine thoughtfulness behind this hospitality.

Jesper and Kasper working with the challenge of our Rohloff hub after putting on a new tire. The old tire had an ominous bulging on the sidewall - just waiting to blow. We really love the pulley system they have for stringing up bikes in the shop for repairs.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fri Bike Shop in Horsens - Jesper, Jack and Kasper. All three of you made our day brighter and we appreciate the new tire too!
Heart 1 Comment 0
The bakery next door looked amazing. Jesper told me that it had won the award for the best bakery in Denmark.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The window displays looked luscious.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The bakery beside the bike shop was exquisite, full of tempting goodies.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This couple were also at the bakery and came out to talk to us - they wanted us to come to their home for coffee, but we had lost so much time to bike repairs, we felt that we needed to get going. It was tempting and we appreciated the offer.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A traditional Danish sandwich, shrimp and eggs, on a freshly baked bun.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The line ups were continuous and as you can see, out the door. C4 signifies that this bakery has been in the same family, the Christensens for 4 generations.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI didn't know about the C4 sign over a bakery, meaning it's been in the same family for generations. You KNOW it's going to be good! :)
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
The mechanic, Kasper, at the bike shop told us to try the Danish specialty trekant at the bakery, so we did.
Heart 0 Comment 0
How to describe trekant pastry....other than simply delicious, the details are: the base is flaky viennese pastry with a vanilla cream in the centre and topped with tasty chocolate. And yes, we ate the whole thing!
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltYum, looks good! :)
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
A sad moment to find the gates locked and a sign saying that they are closed for the season - where to go? The weather was not the best and dusk was coming. Luckily a woman came along who helped us find an alternative place to stay.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The roast veggie plate portion of our wonderful dinner at the Hostel in Vejle. The best meal we've had in a long time. The warm hospitable offering of food made it even more special.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, what a meal! That was VERY nice of the Hostel to offer that to you "on the house"!!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
The picture doesn't do it justice - roast pork with blue cheese sauce was delicious. Danish cooking is known for their tasty and inventive sauces (instead of gravy).
Heart 1 Comment 0
We will have warm memories of this hostel and the staff who work here.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 54 km (34 miles)
Total: 2,556 km (1,587 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0