Back in Holland - Exploring Holland, Germany and Denmark on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

September 27, 2013

Back in Holland

After a very comfortable night on the ferry, and breakfast in our room (peanut butter, buns, OJ and yogurt), we were ready to head out and cycle in Holland. It feels so good to finish our 3 month trip in a place that touched us so deeply when we cycled here in July. As we observed before, Holland is truly a cyclist's paradise - great routes and signage with locals who also love to ride and share their advice on routes to take.

We were given an upgrade to an outside cabin. It was right below the bridge with an an amazing view
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat's a huge porthole window for you to look out from your outside cabin!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Going through customs at Hook of Holland
Heart 0 Comment 0
We didn't meet any Canadians during the last three months. However, we met these three Canadians on the ferry.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltFunny how you all met 3 Canadians on the ferry!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago

Ironically we missed the signage and ended up on the beach at the North Sea. Coffee in a cafe got us in the mood to proceed, after all, it was an early start. The wind was blowing, the sun was shining and the surf was host to hardy surfers.

Riding off the ferry at 7:30, we enjoyed seeing the early morning boat traffic at the Hook of Holland.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A lucky wrong turn took us to the beach instead of the road leading to Delft. We enjoyed a cup of coffee and the view of this sandy beach.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The North Sea
Heart 1 Comment 0
Surfers heading home after enjoying the pounding surf of the North Sea. Their bare feet made us feel cold for them.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThose surfers look like the surfers of Northern California - because the water is cold there, they have to wear wetsuits.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago

Explored the small town Hook of Holland, bought maps for the area (love Dutch cycling maps!) and decided to have an easy day and head for the historic town of Delft.

We found a cafe in the village of the Hook of Holland, and enjoyed breakfast, Dutch style, which included smoked salmon and freshly squeezed orange juice.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As usual, we stopped to visit a local bike shop and enjoyed watching them set up for a photo shoot for their website.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We were surprised to find recumbent bikes in this shop - the first we have seen on the floor of a bike shop in Europe. When we talked to the owner, he said that he would never stock them again as they appeal to such a small market and are too expensive. These ones were reduced by 40% for a quick sale.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

When we arrived in Delft, we were blown away by its beauty. Canals, bridges, beautiful old buildings - we realized that camping out of town would not work so we checked in to a B&B in the town centre facing on to a canal. The location was great and our suite had everything we needed.
Local cheese, baguette, grapes and wine made for a great dinner to enjoy in our B&B.
Tomorrow is Mary Ellen's birthday-so it will be nice to have breakfast prepared for us. It has been a long time since we allowed ourselves this luxury.

As you can see, Dutch signage for cyclists is amazing. No matter what direction you are going, there is a numbered route for you to follow.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Due to the extensive waterways and canals throughout Holland, we see a large number of heron. This heron was part of a large group of heron who were in this field fishing and enjoying the sunshine.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Resting, grooming and fishing, groups of heron along the trail are a common sight. At home, heron tend to be solitary creatures along the shore.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow! So many Blue Herons in one place!!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
So many sheep in Holland - and they are very responsive to and curious about our bike bell.
Heart 1 Comment 0
These sheep ran en masse to the fence and fought for space to vigorously rub themselves against the fence. So-o-o- itchy and fun to watch.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This area of Holland is known as a green belt and there are acres of greenhouses filled with flowers and vegetables.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the many refrigerated trucks transporting flowers and vegetables from the greenhouses.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Orchid greenhouses.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A picturesque canal in the enchanting historic town of Delft.
Heart 1 Comment 0
So many bikes on these narrow lanes in Delft. So narrow in fact, that the restaurants have barges to dine on, rather than on the street.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cheese shops in Holland are fun to visit - interesting, but best of all are the plenitude of samples. Cheese shops, bike shops, bakeries - life is good here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Nieu Kirche has an imposing tower and dominates the skyline. No highrises here - modern buildings are not allowed to take over the vistas.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltGood that they don't allow highrise buildings there!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
No need for a tandem for this couple
Heart 1 Comment 0
What a great way to transport a family - the kids enjoy their wide open view.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It's good that these bikes are locked to a rack or they would end up in the canal.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow - -those bikes are hanging off the street and dangling almost in the canal!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
We have seen very few recumbents in Holland. This is a Dutch bike, Challenge. We like the matching child's seat.
Heart 1 Comment 0
An interesting decorative touch on the street in Delft.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat's a huge "street light"! :)
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This man is feeding the pigeons from his canalside house.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Canal living in Delft.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Dutch cheese for dinner.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 42 km (26 miles)
Total: 2,821 km (1,752 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0