A second night in Delft - too much to see: Camping at Delft Houte - Exploring Holland, Germany and Denmark on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

September 28, 2013

A second night in Delft - too much to see: Camping at Delft Houte

We had planned to move on today after visitng the "New" and "Old" churches in Delft, but we realized that as we walked around this city, that we needed more time. We wanted the time to wander, visit the Royal Delft factory and museum and Barry wanted to shop for ME's birthday.
When we finish sightseeing, we'll find the campground east of town and stay there.
The Royal Delft factory is worth a visit. We really enjoyed seeing how the china is made (still on site and by hand) and the audio guide in the museum made us understand its significance in Holland since production began in 1627.
The Cathedrals also helped us to understand the historical significance of William of Orange and his special relationship with Holland. William was murdered and buried here, along with over 30 royals. Visiting the New Church is truly a history lesson. The end of the cathedral is notable for the 13 stained glass windows which visually show Delft's history.
We haven't camped for some time as we had stayed in many Hostels in Denmark. It was fun to be camping again. We camped at a campground wtihin a massive park, Delft Houte on the outskirts of Delft. The skyline was visible but it felt light years away.
Barry made a wonderful spagetti dinner with salad for ME's birthday dinner.
A good day - enjoyable to be in Holland.

Our bedroom at the B&B in Delft - the owner loves the colour purple as you can see.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A glimpse of the Neue Kirche (New Church) in Delft from our bedroom.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The canal view from the front window of our B&B, Meurside in Delft.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our hosts at Meurside B&B.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Watching cars being parallel parked, we marvel that we don't see them drive in to the canal.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow - - you'd have to be pretty good at parallel parking not to wind up in the canal!!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
A lovely autumn day to take a stroll on the cobbled streets of Delft. We really fell in love with this enchanting town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Delft's town hall and the town square - a busy place with people enjoying the sunshine and couples getting married in the hall. The horse and carriage brought a couple and later a white limousine brought another bridal couple.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Packed and ready to ride on after staying at the B&B - a lovely canal house.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A recent stained glass addition to this historic church in Delft.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Many organ concerts are performed in this church.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
William of Orange, the father of the republic of Holland. He was murdered in Delft and buried here in the Nieu Kirche in Delft.
Heart 0 Comment 0
William of Orange.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We always find it interesting to visit bike shops here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vermeer, the artist, a native of Delft and buried here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A side-by-side tandem: looks like fun.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat's a neat tandem - - side-by-side!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
As part of our tour of the Royal Delft factory, we got to see how these pieces are created. This shows the different stages in the hand painting process.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rembrandt's Nightwatch replicated in Delft tiles - priceless.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A sample of the annual Christmas Delft plates
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Royal Delft continues today with the hand made approach to their pottery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
When in Holland, there must be a cow - and when in Delft, it must be blue and white.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Beautiful pottery
Heart 0 Comment 0
We thoroughly enjoyed our tour of this historic factory and museum.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 15 km (9 miles)
Total: 2,836 km (1,761 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0