Rudesheim to Idar-Oberstein: Exploring the Nahe Valley - Poking Around Europe 4.0 - CycleBlaze

September 1, 2017

Rudesheim to Idar-Oberstein: Exploring the Nahe Valley

It was a beautiful day in the neighbourhood this morning. The sun was shining. Breakfast was a real treat, complete with a carafe of coffee on the table, beautifully presented and with enough for lunch too. It was a terrific start to the day.

The breakfast room in the hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
When we retrieved our bikes from the storage area they had made some new friends.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We rode down to tourist information to make sure we had the correct ferry information and the hotelier was absolutely right. Every 15 minutes starting at 5 AM. We zipped down on the bikes, only being slowed by a train that had hundreds of new cars on it. It was actually fun to watch it go by. We had a pleasant crossing for a grand total of 5 Euro for the two of us.

The ferry coming in.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back at the vineyards above Rudesheim.
Heart 0 Comment 0

When we arrived in Bingen the first thing we rode through was a midway setting up on the waterfront. Exactly the same as the midways at home. It certainly wasn't what we expected to see, but once we squeezed by the bumper cars, the views were fantastic.

Just beautiful.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The first part of the Nahe was a wide, flat valley. The bike path was well marked and almost all paved. It was a slight grade up all the way...a positive incline, as Keith likes to say.

Right along the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A well maintained trail. I mimed to this guy to smile for Keith. He stopped his machine as soon as he saw us and waved us through. Nice!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical trail views.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Isn't this gorgeous?
Heart 0 Comment 0

We arrived in Bad Kreuznach and decided to stop for coffee and a strudel. That gradual, unremitting uphill required fuel. Bad Kreuznach is a great spot. A big pedestrian area and cafes along the bridge over the river...car free of course. It was Market day and we picked up grapes and plums, both local, to supplement our lunch.

Coming into Bad Kreuznach we found our unexpected sight of the day. A group of full figured women throwing sticks at sticks. One woman seemed to be the instructor and did some explaining but it was in German of course so we are still unsure of what was going on, other than throwing sticks at sticks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Market day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wow.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After Bad Kreuznach the ride became spectacular. The valley narrowed, the vineyards made an appearance and the trail turned to a very manageable hard pack surface. We followed the trail and went up into the vineyards. The views made the climbing worthwhile and we found the perfect lunch spot - a winery. We had wine with lunch of course.

Down in the valley here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More beautiful views from the bike path.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The hard pack path. Very easy to ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We rode over a small dam.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A beautiful day for a row.
Heart 0 Comment 0
About to start some serious climbing
Heart 0 Comment 0
Keith and I were the only ones in the group without an e bike!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The views make the climbing worthwhile.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view from our lunch spot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was pretty special.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After that we rode to Kirn. It was very industrial in the immediate vicinity of the town, but had a lovely old town centre. I was flagging a bit by then, so we stopped for gelato, which gave us both a burst of energy. Most of the riding at this point was still on bike trails although some were beside a quiet secondary highway. The last few km into Idar Oberstein were on the road, but it was a painted bike path and there was little traffic.

Bikers headed the other way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lounging around by the trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Germany if the bike path parallels the highway they make sure you are safe.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We have been out for dinner (Italian tonight) and we felt pretty stupid when we got back to the hotel. Neither of us could get the key to work. We finally had to buzz for help, feeling like morons. It was easy once we knew how!

Today's ride: 82 km (51 miles)
Total: 158 km (98 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0