Idar-Oberstein to Bosen: A little bit of everything - Poking Around Europe 4.0 - CycleBlaze

September 2, 2017

Idar-Oberstein to Bosen: A little bit of everything

What a day this was. We had a little bit of everything thrown at us, sunshine, rain, thunder and hills. It was memorable.

The day began with a fantastic German breakfast. We both ate far too much...I was sure I wouldn't be hungry before the afternoon. I was wrong about that. We worked hard today. Our first few km were challenging. We went up and up, only to go down and down and then, of course, up and up again. Stairs and a big barking dog came into play. I would say if you prefer to avoid hills, this part of the Nahe Radweg isn't for you. The views make it so rewarding though, and neither of us mind hills. They just slow us down dramatically.

One more look at the church which was directly above our hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I have just tried to download a picture and tonight is clearly going to be one of those evenings when it takes fifteen minutes for each one, so I will carry on with the story of the day and hopefully add the pictures tomorrow morning.

We started out by exploring the Idar-Oberstein pedestrian area. The town is famous for its rocks and minerals, so there are lots of jewelry (schmuck) stores. There was a busker out with accordion and monkey - thankfully a stuffed one - on the street.

We headed down the bike path from town and before very long had a huge set of stairs to contend with. Keith looked after both bikes while I stood at the top trying to convince the enormous dog just above my head (I was grateful he was behind a fence) to stop barking.

Once at the bottom the ride was beautiful. We meandered along mostly paved bike trails but climbed out of and then back into the valley several times.

We arrived at Birkenfeld and it was so quiet we thought the zombie apocalypse had happened. Just as we left town we found a few people at a lovely outdoor market, but the whole town must have been home for a nap when we went through, other than the few people at the market. It was bizarrely quiet.

We carried on and went consistently up on paved or hard pack trails. Somewhere between Birkenfeld and Nohfelden the sunny skies gave way to clouds, and then rain. Just as we arrived in Nohfelden there were several claps of thunder that really got our attention. One felt like it was right above my head. Not the time to shelter under a tree! We bailed into a nearby cafe and met Elizabeth. She was the most helpful and knowledgable tour guide we have met yet. While she was helping us with maps and hotels the rain really started to come down. Our timing was perfect. We left Elizabeth's cafe well fed and caffeinated and with much more knowledge of the road ahead.

We carried on along the Radweg until it became a loose gravel trail headed uphill for as far as we could see. I was now quite ready to find a hotel and so we bailed to the highway which had very little traffic. This being Germany, there was a bike path right next to it though, so it was an all round good decision. It was nice to do the climbs at highway grades too, rather than steeply up.

We were headed for Bosen and the Bostalsee. By the time we arrived the sun was back out and the weather was glorious. We decided to ride around the Bostalsee. It is quite a small lake. with a ton of recreational activities in a small area. Everything from pedal boats, bicycle rentals and a petting zoo to enormous boats for such a wee lake. How I wish I could post the pictures.

We headed to one of the hotels Elizabeth recommended and it was fully booked. They were kind enough to call another hotel and make us a reservation so we are comfortably settled into the Hotel Landhaus where we have had a great dinner in the bar...the restaurant was fully booked. It is Saturday night after all.

The unexpected sight of the day doesn't have a picture. We came around a corner, going up a hill and there was a family group looking at a bicycle. It must have been an exciting bicycle because the man of the house, who was very large, had come out in his very short underwear. Keith looked at me in astonishment. I managed to suppress my laughter until out of earshot but I was still laughing five minutes later. It is just as well we don't have a photo.

So a very full day, the kind that you will remember for a long time for all the right reasons. I will post the pictures tomorrow because they tell the story better than I can.

The busker with his stuffed monkey. A little local colour. His accordion playing was excellent.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My buddy the barking dog. He was unhappy with my presence despite my attempts to cajole him into a better mood.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These stairs made the ones at the detour in Frankfurt look short.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Keith doing all the heavy lifting.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We missed this turn. We ended up in a Gasthaus parking lot. We found the signs on our way back. How did we not see them the first time??
Heart 0 Comment 0
The scenery was fantastic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There is a bike path in this picture and I am on it. I am well camouflaged in my green jacket.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A beautiful ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More beautiful riding.
Heart 0 Comment 0
That is our bike path to the right. A rare moment when we weren't either dropping into the valley or climbing out of it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are up high here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A bull and his harem.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Coming up into Birkenfeld past a field of sunflowers. It was stunning but hard to get a good picture as they were all facing the sun, away from the bike path.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Birkenfeld. Would you get your hair cut here???
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bright colours in the market.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A small obstacle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Best place ever to shelter from thunder. Delicious coffee and Black Forest cake. Elizabeth was a fantastic tour guide. Positive, reassuring and full of local knowledge. What a pleasure our time with her was.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here is the bakery. Fantastic spot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We took to the highway for a bit. Elizabeth had assured us that it would not be busy and as you can see, she was right. What she didn't mention is that there is a bike lane right next to it. Bonus.
Heart 0 Comment 0
By the time we got to the Bostalsee, and it wasn't far, the sun was out. Also a bonus.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some pretty big boats for a very small lake. We rode all the way around it in no time.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 56 km (35 miles)
Total: 214 km (133 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0