Macon to Lyon: Blue skies and sunshine! - Poking Around Europe 4.0 - CycleBlaze

September 21, 2017

Macon to Lyon: Blue skies and sunshine!

We started the day in the fog. I knew it would burn off, but I had two cycling jerseys, my vest, my windbreaker, my Goretex jacket and full finger gloves on when I left. Gradually throughout the day I kept shedding clothing. By the afternoon I was cycling in short sleeves and loving it. There wasn't a cloud in the sky once the fog burned off. The first day like that this tour.

Macon as we left this morning. I think the river cruise passengers thought we were crazy. Their breakfast smelled wonderful.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We were given great instructions about how to get to Lyon on the D roads at tourist information yesterday. They were very clear that there is a cycle path on the Soane, but 55 kms are unpaved and it is only suitable for mountain bikes. Okay then, the D roads it is. I am loving the D roads. They generally aren't busy, the drivers give you lots of room and the surface is great. The CN couldn't resist trying the bike path immediately after crossing the bridge, but we bailed and reversed direction within a few hundred metres. French gravel is not something you want to ride without a mountain bike.

All the villages have beautiful churches.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The CN did find one road even quieter than the D road that we followed for a number of km. It paralleled the D road and might as well have been a bike path. We didn't see a soul.

My bike resting happily on the side of the quiet road. The landscape today was beautiful. Fairly flat to start, with a view of the hills across the Soane, and then we were in the hills ourselves. Very pretty area.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stopped in another small village for a substantial snack. I lay down on the picnic table bench and soaked up the sunshine. It felt so good. Then real lunch took place in the stunning town of Trevoux. We sat on the side of the Soane and were entertained throughout lunch by the locals playing Pétanque. They were good! They wished us Bon Appetit as we tucked into our cheese and baguette.

I have discovered a helmet makes a half decent pillow!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another village, another pretty church.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The rollers have begun.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We met Arnaud at the top of one of the rollers. He is on an open ended bike tour, also headed in the general direction of Lyon. He is camping and I am not sure I could have lifted his bike.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Then the CN wanted to try the 'bike path' again. We weren't on it for long. First there was this....
Heart 0 Comment 0
And then there was this. Back to the D road at the first opportunity.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Watching the barges from the bike and pedestrian only bridge in Beauregard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch time sporting event. Great entertainment.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had a bit of a busier road as we approached an autoroute entrance, but once more the French drivers amazed us. Always respectful, always lots of room. That feeling pedalling as hard as I can through a narrow area with nowhere to go with a semi on my tail is a totally different experience in France than Canada. In France they just wait, and then flash their lights or wave a thank you when you are able to get out of the way. Pretty amazing.

The last 20 km or so of the ride were dedicated bike lanes. My personal favourite part was when we had an entire enormous lane dedicated to buses and bikes. We never saw a bus. Biggest bike lane in the world. Loved it. The CN once more led us directly to the hotel and we are very comfortable. We will explore Lyon tomorrow. The only problem is the slow internet. I will add pictures if and when I can.

We have had a delicious dinner in the restaurant next door to the hotel and learned the correct spelling of Pétanque from the server. Today was another great day.

The amazing village of Trevoux.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Trevoux.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Coming into Lyon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We met this lovely couple on the way into town. It was just such a delightful encounter.
Heart 0 Comment 0
See the lane on the left? That is for cars. See the lane on the right? That is for bikes and buses. We saw other bikes, but never did see a bus. Love, love, loved it.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 78 km (48 miles)
Total: 1,242 km (771 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0