Tournus to Macon: Easy riding - Poking Around Europe 4.0 - CycleBlaze

September 20, 2017

Tournus to Macon: Easy riding

The riding was easy today. We are on our way to Lyon and felt it was just a bit too far for one day so we decided to stop in Macon, just 36 km from Tournus. We will have 75 or so tomorrow into Lyon.

Tournus has a beautiful Abbey and it was the first stop this morning. It was amazing. Very bright and very beautiful and very old. Keith went through first while I watched the bikes and enjoyed it so much he went back a second time after I had a look. Waiting with the bikes was interesting because we met a Dutch couple who were doing the same thing so there was time for a good chat about bicycles and travel. Then we were on our way down the Soane. The helpful woman at Tourist Information had a great map of the route for us and assured us it was a paved bicycle path.

Inside the Abbey. They were playing the most beautiful music.It turned out to be Psalm 104, "Bless The Lord, O My Soul" - Carl Maria Von Weber. Keith used Shazam.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was bright and beautiful rather than dark and depressing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The organ.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These windows and a sunny day made it a very uplifting place. There were old mosaic floors that had exquisite detail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
From the front.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And from the back. Note me shading my eyes from the sun. How awesome is that???
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is what I was looking at.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One last picture.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The sun was shining today, all day. We really enjoyed the ride. The river offered great views and the wind was taking a break. We stopped for lunch at a well situated bench and soaked up the sunshine. We really poked along. With so few km to do we had lots of time.

The bike path. It followed the river all the way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
How would you like to launch your boat down this boat ramp?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Swans too.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bikes resting at our lunch stop. They hadn't had a hard day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view at lunch was perfect.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once more I am rowing the internet, not surfing it. The pictures will have to wait for the morning. As for the rest of the story...

Our next stop was for a coffee at a riverside establishment. We forgot to order a grand cafe, which while tiny by North American standards is at least bigger than what came...a couple of tablespoons of exquisite espresso. We sat and sipped, feeling very French.

A big guy with a tres petit cafe.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And a rare picture of both of us, taken by a guest at the next table. They were also on bikes and spoke perfect English, because they are from the Netherlands. Honestly, being unilingual makes me feel so dumb.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Before we knew it we were in Macon. We liked the approach to the city on the river. The CN chose a great hotel right in the heart of the old town called Hotel Bourgogne. We arrived early enough to do the old town walking tour. We stopped and shared a calorific ice cream creation in the town square.

We have been out for the most amazing dinner. Poisson for the CN and Boeuf Bourginion for me. And so to bed, as Samuel Pepys would say.

Of course we enjoyed the approach to Macon. There were boats.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There was a rowing school. Lots and lots of young people having fun...I think! It was fun for us to watch. I had a sense watching them that it is a lot harder than it looks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Macon is busy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
St. Pierre Chuerch. Not as old as it looks. Only 157 years. That is a youngster compared to most we see.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A day like today deserved ice cream.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was built between 1490 and 1510. The oldest house in Macon, and made of wood no less. The carvings are quite saucy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An example.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Evidently this is a man with a monkey mask on (according to the tourist brochure) and not much else.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A fanciful creature. It is amazing to me that a wooden structure exposed to the elements for centuries has survived.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 36 km (22 miles)
Total: 1,164 km (723 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0