Day 27: Harwich to Witham - Lift-off: Kiwis take flight again - CycleBlaze

August 16, 2023

Day 27: Harwich to Witham

Over the Channel overnight

There’s no mucking about getting under way this morning. The ferry is firmly moored to England by the time we walk down to breakfast. (It doesn’t help that I wake Bruce up at 4.30 am English time rather than 5.30, because my phone is confused by time zones. Not me, my phone.)

 As soon as we’re done with the full English, they want us off the ferry. So by 6.45am we have untied and loaded the bikes, ridden down the ramp, queued for immigration and border control, and find ourselves on a quiet country road at the start of our ride to London.

Almost immediately,  we’re on a bike path with NCN (National Cycle Network) signage. The path doesn’t last terribly long but it’s a promising start. To be honest, we don’t have high hopes of cycling in GB, especially after experiencing the infrastructure just over the Channel. But it’s a beautiful windless morning – easily the best day weather-wise that we’ve struck on this tour. So already, expectations have been exceeded.

A promising beginning
Heart 4 Comment 0

Things are going swimmingly though the road segments are a little stressful given the lack of shoulders and the tendency of cars to queue up  behind me. I like to pull over to let them pass while Bruce is of the ‘let them wait’ school of cycling. On a gentle rise, he takes off and I pull off the tarseal. Next thing, I topple into a bramble-infested ditch, landing on my back, with my bike lying neatly at the side of the road. It takes a while to release my favourite lycra top from each of the grasping brambles before I can find a tree branch to pull myself up with. Nothing to see here, folks. Let’s move on. Quickly. Bruce has turned back to find me, guessing this is probably not a photo stop. And after removing some more sharp things and applying a plaster, I’m OK. Though keen to find coffee.

The ditch is deeper than it looks
Heart 3 Comment 5
Michael HutchingOh dear- the gooseberry patch! Those thorns are painful. We tend to be conflicted in a similar fashion about moving side for cars. Sometimes doesn’t pay to be too empathetic. Enjoying your trip and looking forward to this UK section- that country always seems to offer an additional frisson of the unexpected. Bonne route, Michael Hutching
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Robyn RichardsTo Michael HutchingThanks, Michael. It will only be a short leg though.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Dawn HunterOh dear Robyn! Glad you didn’t fall on your hand! Those brambles are painful and not keen to let you go once embedded! Glad you’re okay!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Jennie EastonOuch! Nasty experience. Hope no lasting effects 🤕
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Robyn RichardsTo Jennie EastonAll good now, thanks Jennie.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago

I seem to have lost the Health and Safety portfolio though, which I took on as a result of carrying the first aid kit. Tour Leader quite rightly points out the risks  of trying to appease the drivers behind me. Lesson learned.

We find great coffee in the little town of Wivenhoe. In no time at all,  we’re in Colchester, today’s half-way point – and it’s not even 10.30. We circle the town, buying lunch at the Cornish Bakehouse, which is a little confusing, and end up in the grounds of Colchester castle. There’s been a fortification here since  Roman times but construction began on  this castle in 1076. 700 years later, a chap named Charles Gray was given the castle as a wedding gift by his mother-in-law  (Bruce wonders what her motivation was) and he took charge of its restoration and the development of its gardens.

Colchester castle
Heart 2 Comment 0
. . . And what was the moat
Heart 2 Comment 0
Very sweet
Heart 2 Comment 0

The afternoon’s ride is varied. The terrain is rolling. There are long stretches of single-track through woodland, plenty of sealed road, though often in poor condition, bike lanes on busy roads and good unsealed but wide paths well away from roads. We  meet up with two young Dutch bike-packers at another café.  They were first off the boat this morning, riding lightly loaded gravel bikes, so it was a surprise to see them again. ‘Well done,’ one of them says when we turn up, so perhaps they’re as surprised as we are.

Seat adjustment on woodland trail
Heart 3 Comment 0
Route marker
Heart 2 Comment 0
Countryside, plenty of it
Heart 3 Comment 0

It's not long before we get to Witham, our destination. It’s a busy little town and the White Hart pub is right in the middle of the busyness. It also has the obligatory (male) indoor bar leaners at 2 o’clock on a sunny afternoon, one of whom points out helpfully that Bruce is heading the wrong way if he’s cycling to New Zealand. And he’s happy of course because England have just won their semi-final at the FIFA women’s World Cup. We take things a step further by going outdoors to enjoy our beer and cider.

Afternoon sunshine, a great day’s cycling and a lunchtime Cornish pasty that exceeded expectations. Good job, GB. Let’s see what you can do tomorrow.

 

Heart 1 Comment 0

 

Today's ride: 70 km (43 miles)
Total: 1,438 km (893 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Tricia GrahamI thought I was the only one that fell off bikes. Glad no major damage done. The small amount of cycling we have done in the UK I have found the cycling infrastructure terrible ghastly tracks given fancy names
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Carolyn van HoeveSo glad you came away from the ditch seemingly unscathed! Ironic you get to the UK and have the best weather day of the tour. Hope the weather continues for the remainder
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Robyn RichardsTo Carolyn van HoeveIt was scarily like the broken hand incident, Carolyn, though with a better outcome!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago