To Joigny - Three Seasons Around France: Spring - CycleBlaze

May 28, 2022

To Joigny

All the news

Some old news

Some of you know this already, but I don’t think I’ve reported it here yet. About two weeks ago we got closure on the lost suitcase situation.  After a very thorough investigation, UPS concluded that the mysterious Mme Guillautin had evaded their clutches and our suitcases were definitely lost.  And after a very thorough claims adjudication process their claims department concluded that we are entitled to a bit of compensation for our lost suitcases and their contents - to the tune of a very generous 85 euros.  

We’re still debating whether it’s worth handing over our bank information to them so that they can deposit this small fortune into our bank account and risk that they’ll err somehow and make a withdrawal instead, or perhaps sell our information to Mme Guillautin.

Some not so old news

It’s been a few days since we came to this, and I’m not sure now how we finally came to a decision about what to do with the rest of our lives.  I’m sure there were several contributors.  One was meeting up with Susan and having her reaffirm how simple it was to get a long stay visa.  Another was the fortuitous discovery that Suzanne and János have a pair of suitable Samsonite suitcases in storage, which they used to ship their Bike Fridays in years past before they went electric.   Another was the discovery that if we act now, we can buy a flight home from Nice for only $630 each, precisely on the day we plan to fly home -on December 1st, my birthday.  Amazingly, that’s the fare on that specific day only.  In either direction the prices almost double.  It’s like an early birthday present!

Probably more than anything though was a growing sense of revulsion over the state of our own country, where the news becomes more horrifying and depressing by the day.  Why would we want to go back, really?  

One thought led to another, and finally it all came clear.  We’ll head down to San Francisco in January to apply for our visa, and spend a couple of months in the southwest before flying back to France.  Over the next year we’ll execute a large circuit, heading north through Annecy, perhaps Gauting, Czechia, Denmark, across through Britain, and south to Almeria and Mallorca for the winter.

And since we’ll be coming back to France right away, why take the BF’s home at all?  We’ll just stash them here somewhere - in Rich Frasier’s garage, say - and pick them up when we return in the spring.

So that’s definitely settled.

Some newer news

The four of us walked across the river to an Italian restaurant in central Auxerre last night to share a last meal together and celebrate the wonderful adventure we’ve shared over these past ten days.  Great meal, great company, and a bottle of Montepulciano.  What’s not to like?  Let’s do this again, folks!

In Auxerre.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Auxerre, a surprisingly attractive place with some beautiful streets and half timbered houses. It looks like it would work well as a base for a longer stay sometime.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Auxerre.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Some even newer news

It’s always better to sleep on it before making any life changing decisions.  We woke up this morning thinking of how much we’d really like to see Greece or southern Italy (or both!) next spring, which obviously doesn’t fit in with the plan of a French long stay visa beginning in the spring.  So why exactly are we trying to lock down our futures so far out?  We haven’t even been to the UK yet, or even on the road three months.  Too soon to decide.  We’ve got over a half year to work things out.

So, we’ll table this whole idea for now and think again this fall sometime.  We will go ahead and snap up those $630 flights home though.

The newest news of all

We went for a bike ride today.  A short, very easy ride to Joigny, just 23 miles downriver from here.  Most of the ride is right alongside the river/canal, with a bit of rolling right at the end before dropping into Joigny in the early afternoon.  Tomorrow’s ride to Sens looks to be about the same, and then we have two longer days on our way to Paris.

Leaving Auxerre, a surprisingly beautiful place that we should come back to for a longer stay.
Heart 4 Comment 0
On the Yonne again? Yawn!
Heart 2 Comment 0
On the Yonne again.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Are you getting tired of canal photos and flat rides yet? Tough. We’re enjoying it very much, thank you.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Passing through some bike friendly riverside village.
Heart 5 Comment 0
A very strange scene. This swan has been urgently following the boat, and at one point even leaped up onto its edge. The helmsman has what looks like a fishing reel in his hand, and I wonder if he hasn’t snared the bird.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Two bridges, one bike.
Heart 3 Comment 0
I wonder what covers those whitish fields out there.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our riverside bike path abruptly turned to dirt and then became rocky, worsening as we went. A mile of it was quite enough so we returned to pavement at the first opportunity.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The last two miles into Joigny were the prettiest of the day. We were getting tired of the canal by now anyway.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Nearing Joigny.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Still nearing Joigny.
Heart 6 Comment 0
And Paris!
Heart 2 Comment 0

Video sound track: Je Ne Vous Oublie Pas, by Musiques Idolees

We’re staying in a very nice place in Joigny - an exclusive spread on the opposite bank of the river from the town.  Fenced, controlled entry, more upscale than we’ve stayed at for quite some time.  We’re reserved for dinner here too, since it’s a holiday weekend and we wanted to be sure of a meal.  The restaurant is full, with most of the diners elegantly dressed - we feel just a bit conspicuous with our humble attire.  The meal is fine too of course, but best is our room itself.  Our door opens onto a lawn with a small pond and the river just behind.  Some insistent large geese are our near neighbors.  Perhaps the prettiest place we’ve slept on the tour.

A very pretty place. Even the bike shed has character.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The view across the river to Joigny.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Greylag Geese! I went out to take a photo of them sitting on the grass but they immediately sprang up and rushed my way. It must be about feeding time.
Heart 6 Comment 2
Bob KoreisMmmmmmmm, foie gras.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rich FrasierBob stole my comment
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The view from our room this evening.
Heart 12 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 23 miles, 800’; for the tour: 2,151 miles, 107,500’

Today's ride: 23 miles (37 km)
Total: 2,179 miles (3,507 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 0