In Sankt Gilgen (a photo gallery) - The Road to Rome, Part Two: Europe - CycleBlaze

September 15, 2021

In Sankt Gilgen (a photo gallery)

While we’re all waiting around to see if we decide on another assault on the Schafberg we might as well look at some shots from around town.  The first are from last night, and the later ones are from this morning.

The view from the balcony of our room: the bell tower of the parrish church, and the summit of Schafberg, up there just taunting us.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Walking to the lake along the Mühlbach.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A more complete view of the parrish church.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Sankt Gilgen.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Kathleen JonesThat’s you two in 20 years, ready to scale Schafberg one more time.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Kathleen JonesIt does make you wonder. Just don’t stop.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Looking east along the Wolfgangsee.
Heart 4 Comment 0
First maples of autumn.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The view southeast. To the far right at the base of the ridge is St. Wolfgang im Salzkammergut.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The lakeside view of the parrish church.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Such a visually striking area. The limestonepeaks feel like a miniature version of the Dolomites or Dachstein. These must be the forefront of the Northern Limestone Alps.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the waterfront, with the moon setting behind.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Rathaus.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The view from our room this morning.
Heart 5 Comment 0
In Sankt Gilgen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking southeast along the Wolfgangsee. A much different look this morning.
Heart 5 Comment 0
A look back to the cliffs south of town.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Schafberg didn’t go away overnight. Now or never, I’d say.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Some sort of thrush, I imagine.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltCould not find an exact image match, but closest I found was blue rock thrush.

https://avibase.bsc-eoc.org/species.jsp?avibaseid=41D76F4B19ACB4BD
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
In Sankt Gilgen.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A look south along our street. Our guesthouse is the flower laden building on the right. We’re on the top floor, at this end. At the top of the ridge ahead is the Zwolferhorn, the high point above the south shore of the lake. Plan B for the day is to hike up there and take the tram down. Not such an easy hike either.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 0