Soulac-sur-Mer to Lacanau-Ocean: This was not supposed to be our destination for the day! "Remember that turn way back?!?" - A tour of France, and Portugal - CycleBlaze

September 12, 2014

Soulac-sur-Mer to Lacanau-Ocean: This was not supposed to be our destination for the day! "Remember that turn way back?!?"

Another beautiful day to cycle, without a cloud in the sky. We left Soulac-Sur-Mer around 9:30, which seems to be our usual start time, no matter how early we rise.

First photo of the morning. Yup, I think we are in France.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The first part of the day was along the oceanfront, and then we headed into the pine forest.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Coffee break in Montalivet
Heart 0 Comment 0
Operation Frankton, HMS Tuna, took place here in Montalivet, December, 1942
Heart 0 Comment 0

We continued through the forest, and our next stop was Hourtin-Plage. Another great oyster area, so we decided we might just as well have oysters for lunch. It was a great little spot on the beach. From here we were supposed to head east to Pauillac, where we were to spend a couple of days cycling around the famous Bordeaux wine chateaus. After many Kilometers, we realized we had missed the turn, and were heading further down the coast to Lacanau-Ocean. Oh well, I guess that will be our stop for the day. This had been our plan at one time, as there is a very good cycle path all the way into the city of Bordeaux, mostly on a former railway bed. By doing this, though, we missed the wine region, as it is mainly north of Bordeaux. We will get there, though, somehow. We can't miss the famous wine trail!!

We also took a wrong turn just before Carcans-Plage, and ended up climbing a 10% grade hill for about 4 kilometres, only to find out we had to turn around. At least we got to go DOWN.

I had just commented on the great condition of the cycle roads, when just as we were leaving Carcans-Plage, towards Lacanau-Ocean, the path deteriorated, to put it mildly. For the next 5 kilometres, the route was a narrow concrete path, about 18 inches wide, with a 10 inch drop off on either side. Just as we got started on it, I heard a crash behind me. Ron had gone off the path, and his front wheel was lodged in the sand. Fortunately, he had just taken his feet out of his clips, so he didn't go over the handlebars.

We usually try to book a room around 3PM, for the same day. I think we got the last room in Lacanau-Ocean. In fact, the last room for at least 75 kilometres around! It turns out the Medoc marathon was happening on Saturday and Sunday, www.medocdumarathon.com. It is good thing we missed our turn to Pauillec, as this is where it starts, and there would definitely not have been any rooms available. We spoke to a couple of ladies from Sweden who were at our hotel, who were there for this crazy marathon. They had arrived by bus, with the rest of their Swedish teem, after 30 non-stop hours on the bus.....just saying. There are 10,000 participants in the marathon, and they turned away 40,000!! It is the longest, time wise, marathon, perhaps in the world. This is because they serve wine and oysters and ice cream, etc at the 36 stops, rather than water and power bars. My kind of race!!! Needless to say, our hotel was a happening place!!

Our lunch is being prepared
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch is served
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tent city
Heart 0 Comment 0
Torture trail. My bike and I veered off of this sucker at least 6 times. I had my head down concentrating, and hardly noticed oncoming bikes. This will require 2 beers tonight!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pushing uphill through soft sand. I don't think this is the way. There is a kind man behind me pushing my bike. Merci monsuir!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our "happening place" hotel
Heart 0 Comment 0
We went up, and then, we went down. I hate when we get lost and have gone up a steep hill, needlessly. Jesus H......
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 87 miles (140 km)
Total: 964 miles (1,551 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0