We are off! - A tour of France, and Portugal - CycleBlaze

August 20, 2014

We are off!

All packed and waiting in the ferry lineup. We fly from Vancouver to Paris this evening. This is a truly freedom travel trip, without any mapping, or accommodations booked.

Last June we took our first cycle touring trip down the Danube from Doneaueshigan to Prauge, and we were hooked, despite all the flooding and detours.

This year we had planned to cycle The Loire Valley, France, a recommendation from Steve and Dodie Miiler, fellow CGOAB bloggers, in June, as well. We were then invited to join a group of friends to cycle Portugal from late September to mid October, so our tour of the Loire was moved to August, and also expanded.

Our plan is to take the train from Paris to Caen in Normandy, cycle the D-Day beaches there, then down to the Loire Valley for a few days, then head south west to continue down the Atlantic coast towards Portugal. We need to be in Lisbon by September 24th, so we may need to take the train for the last part of the journey, but Ron feels we can do it by bike. Time will tell!

Hopefully, no flooding like last year!

Packing the bikes in plastic bags. Hope they arrive without damage.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I think the poodle would like to come.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Will all this fit in my panniers!!?? What, "no hair dryer?"
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0