Marennes to Soulac-Sur-Mer: Powered by wine, more wine, bread, and mussels, (and muscles) - A tour of France, and Portugal - CycleBlaze

September 11, 2014

Marennes to Soulac-Sur-Mer: Powered by wine, more wine, bread, and mussels, (and muscles)

Well, I am about three days behind on my blog. The WiFi in most of the hotels in France, leave a little to be desired. Actually, they leave a lot to be desired! So tonight, I am attempting to catch up.catch-up. Today was probably our most scenic ride, so far, although my biking buddy was suffering from a little too much of a good thing, French wine. I had to keep reminding him how beautiful it was. We started out with another beautiful sunny day, without a cloud in the sky. The weather has been amazing, with afternoon temperatures in the low 30's.

Leaving Merennes, home of oysters. This was in the roundabout, as we were leaving.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had only gone about 5 kilometers, when I saw this. Ugggg!

I can feel the anxiety setting in fast! I love long bridges with hills, I love them......
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was really reassuring to see a floral memorial to a biker that was killed, about 3/4 of the way across!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Most of the route was a dedicated cycle path, following the Atlantic Ocean, and it's beautiful beaches.

There were so many of these sandy paths, along the way, leading to the beach. Not very cycle friendly, unfortunately.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Life is good if you keep following these signs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A little beach walk
Heart 0 Comment 0
Escargot a'la fence post
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some trails are better than others
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just a few sea-doos lined up!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of fishing along the way
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This lunch spot was too good to pass by
Heart 0 Comment 0
And a good lunch it was !
Heart 0 Comment 0
These little fishing huts, with there nets, were interesting. They were scattered along the shore.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were these exercise station along the bike trail. Maybe we should stop and workout, Ron??
Heart 0 Comment 0
Guard dog
Heart 0 Comment 0
Notice the modern house among the historic ones
Heart 0 Comment 0
Homes along the shore in Royan, with more of the fishing huts in front.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We took a twenty minute ferry ride from Royan to the other side of the peninsula, and the cycle along another beautiful path along the ocean to Soulac-sur-Mer, our destination for the day.

Onto the ferry we go
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our new cycling friends from Holland. They are heading to Spain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our ferry
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have arrived at our home for the night, now it's "beer time."
Heart 0 Comment 0
Soulac-sur-Mer streets
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was the cutest little hotel. One of my favourite stays, so far.. Soulac-sur-Mer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Soulac-sur-Mer city hall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beach in Soulac-sur-Mer
Heart 0 Comment 0
Happy hour on the beach
Heart 0 Comment 0
Off to dinner, casual style.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 69 miles (111 km)
Total: 877 miles (1,411 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0