Pouring Rain, Flat Tire, Big Trucks, Traffic: "Uncle", time to call it - A tour of France, and Portugal - CycleBlaze

October 8, 2014

Pouring Rain, Flat Tire, Big Trucks, Traffic: "Uncle", time to call it

This morning we left Batalha, on our way to Peniche, with hopeful, but doubtful skies.

Well, the sun lasted about 1km, and then it was downpour, in my not so waterfroof jacket. Ron was ok in his nice Gortex, but it was heavy traffic with lots of big transport trucks sending up a nice shower, and cutting in way too close. About 10km out, Ron got a flat....perfect weather for that to happen! One of friends was right behind us, and she couldn't stop, because of her wet brakes. She managed to go around us, but that was enough of a scare for her, and she called it quits, and hopped in the sagg van.

Once the flat was repaired, we continued on like drowned rats, but the rain wasn't letting up at all. After another couple of km, we cried "uncle", and packed in, as well. We had got quite a ways behind the others, because of the flat, and we were still in the heavy traffic. It was getting way too dangerous, because we could hardly see, and more dangerous, the trucks would have a hard time seeing us. At the first rest stop, Nazare, the ride was called off for the day. It was a shame that we didn't get to ride the full 81km, as it was to be scenic ride, but there is no garantee on the weather, and safety must come first.

The town of Obidos, our stop for the night, was one of my favorite on the tour, so an early stop wasn't that bad, after all. I walked the castle wall, which has no guard rail, and a fair drop off in most areas. The main shopping street is very quaint and lined with beautiful flowers.

We are hoping for clear skies tomorrow, so we can get our full ride in.

A "scarf " bike on the street in Obidos
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beautiful flowers on the street
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cool bookstore in Obidos
Heart 0 Comment 0
Obidos flowers
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from the castle wall walk
Heart 0 Comment 0
This little guy thought the street needed moping, until his mom saw him.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 12 miles (19 km)
Total: 1,539 miles (2,477 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0