Almost a Day Off: Fatima to Batalha - A tour of France, and Portugal - CycleBlaze

October 7, 2014

Almost a Day Off: Fatima to Batalha

Ascent 310m, easy peezy!

Today was are so called "day off", which actually felt like it. It was only 34km, and mostly "Portuguese flat", with a couple of short, steep climbs, and lots of twisty downhill.

Our first stop was just 4km out of Fatima, where we had an excellent tour of the Moeda Caves, which are 350m long, and 45m deep. The caves were discovered in 1971 by two hunters chasing a fox, and soon the cave became a tourist attraction. Studies have confirmed that it dates back to the middle Jurassic period.

We then followed the Lena river, and arrived early in the day to the town of Batalha, with its impressive Monastery, which is classified as world heritage by UNESCO. It was built to thank the Virgin Mary for the Portuguese victory over the Spaniards in 1385.

It was nice to sit down with some of friends and enjoy a sidewalk cafe lunch of real food, as opposed to our usual ham and cheese sandwich made at the hotel breakfast buffet, and eaten on the road. We enjoyed a nice afternoon of wandering through the Monastery, and even browsing in the shops.

Tomorrow's forecast is for rain.

Moeda cave
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
More of the cave
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the Batalha Monestery
Heart 0 Comment 0
Impressive Batalha Monestery
Heart 0 Comment 0
A real sit down lunch
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cool shot from inside our hotel, as we prepare to head out in the morning
Heart 0 Comment 0
One last look at the market before climbing on the bike.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 21 miles (34 km)
Total: 1,527 miles (2,457 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0