Pau to St -Jean-De-Luz: The scenic route - A tour of France, and Portugal - CycleBlaze

September 21, 2014

Pau to St -Jean-De-Luz: The scenic route

After walking the Avenue of The Pyrenees, and having an expresso,while taking in the gorgeous views of the mountains, we left Pau and headed out on a very scenic route through the hills and valleys. We travelled mostly on D933, which took us through some of the most amazing scenery and small towns. At one point the "scene" was a little testy as the navigator, (that would be moi), had us going around the round-about about 6 times. That is what they are for, is it not? At times we were not more than 3 or 4 kilometres from the Spanish boarder. This area of France is called the Basque region. It very popular with hikers, and we saw lots of them today.

We visited the beautiful villages of Salies-de-Bearn, St-Palais, St-Jean-Pied-de-Port, Camo-les-Bains, Espelette and Aibhia. The whole area is known for their cheese, and the village of Espelette, was especially interesting. They had just harvested the peppers, and there were peppers hanging everywhere. The stores had wonderful peppers, pepper products, cheeses, and ham. Ainhoa, was also a very cute village.

We checked into our B&B in St-Jean-du Luz, ( we have the pink room, and I mean PINK), around 6:00, and went into town later for a not so good dinner. Everything about the day can't always be perfect!

The Avenue of The Pyrenees, Pau
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pau
Heart 0 Comment 0
We wanted to have lunch in this cute alley restaurant in Salies-de-Bearn but it was completely booked. The food looked amazing!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Along our route today
Heart 0 Comment 0
Village of Espelette
Heart 1 Comment 0
All the buildings in Espelette are red (peppers) and white
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful, old church and cemetery in Ainhoa
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ainhoa. They obviously allow some blue houses!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sangria time!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pretty window box
Heart 0 Comment 0
The valley we were in today
Heart 0 Comment 0
Home for the next two nights
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pretty good B&B, despite the pink room
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0