Arcachon to Pau: Loved the dune! - A tour of France, and Portugal - CycleBlaze

September 20, 2014

Arcachon to Pau: Loved the dune!

This morning we went to see the famous Dune du Pilat, which was only about 10 kilometres from our hotel. It is an amazing sight! It is huge, and you have to climb quite a ways up a steep hill to get the views. We have never walked in such fine, deep sand. You sink down above your ankles with each step. A very good calf workout! There are also stairs you can climb. You can also walk the dune, which is around 15 kilometres. No, we didn't!

We then made our way via the freeway to Saint Jean de Luz. It is one of the prettiest towns in the Basque area. We had planned to stay in this area for our last four days, but since it is the weekend, most hotels and B&B's get booked out. We had lunch there and decided to go up to Pau, in the Pyrenees, for the night. We had planned to visit there, as a day trip anyway, so it turned out fine. We have booked a B&B back near Saint Jean de Luz, for our last three nights.

I had a nice, but hilly walk up the road from our B&B, here in Pau tonight, to take in the beautiful views of the Pyrenees, and the many chateaus in the distance. We had a great Vietnamese dinner at a new restaurant in the old part of the city. We walked in and were told it was completely booked, but we talked our way into getting a table when we told them we would be quick. It was 8:15 when we went, and there was only one other couple there, but it started to fill up soon after. They eat quite late here, often not until after 9:00. Anyways, dinner was great, and we can't remember the last time we had dinner without wine, or bread, or dessert. We must be starting to wean ourselves off in preparation for home. No, not ready for that yet. We are looking forward to seeing the sights of Pau, in the morning.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our chateau for the night in Pau, and our van.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another shot of our B&B. I had planned to swim, but never made it. Maybe in the morning...
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0