Our Best Day of Cycling in Portugal, So Far: Long and steep - A tour of France, and Portugal - CycleBlaze

October 2, 2014

Our Best Day of Cycling in Portugal, So Far: Long and steep

Today was our best day so far, of our cycling trip in Portugal. Even though it was our longest, at 82km, and an ascent gain of 1020m, it felt like our easiest day. It must be that our legs are getting used to lots of climbing. It has also been pretty hot, with my Garmin recording 35 degrees in the afternoon. The shower at the end day is very welcome to us, and those around us! Not before our tradition of having a nice cold beer first, though. Today was a two beer day!

We also really enjoyed the scenery along our route today. We started off this morning leaving Elvas along an aqueduct, and continued along quiet roads, passing through small towns with the white washed houses. There were also many rolling hills with olive and cork trees, and sheep and cattle grazing amount them. Very quiet and peaceful.

Tonight we in Flor da Rosa. It is a castle, a convent and a palace, built in different periods, and today is a luxury hotel. It is the most important example of a fortified monastery in the Iberian Peninsula.

Tomorrow we only have 56km, but more climbing that yesterday, 1030m. We were told at dinner tonight, that the last 10km is 10-12% grade. Something to sleep on! I think it will be time to kick in the Granny gear on Mrs. Surley!

Castle along the way
Heart 0 Comment 0
Entrance to our hotel
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ready to roll
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hotel bar
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our castle for the night
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another shot of the bar area
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sunset over the freezing pool. They don't heat pools here.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 miles (82 km)
Total: 1,306 miles (2,102 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0