A Peaceful start to a Gruelling End: 1030m ascent. It just keeps getting steeper! - A tour of France, and Portugal - CycleBlaze

October 3, 2014

A Peaceful start to a Gruelling End: 1030m ascent. It just keeps getting steeper!

We left our castle- hotel this morning along quiet, peaceful country roads. It was "Portuguese flat", for a little while, with some good climbs thrown in. After our steep climb up to our lunch spot, it was a fun downhill run through giant boulders, and pastures.

At the bottom we saw our destination for the day, far in the distance, and the highest village in Portugal! It was a 10km climb, with the last 6kms, at an average of 10% incline. GRUELLING, to say the least!! Mr and Mrs Surley preformed very well, and Mrs Surley even saved some gears in case of an emergency. She is a trouper, and a good friend, indeed.

We are staying in Mario for the night, which is one of the most preserved, fortified small towns. The views up here are amazing, and we can see the mountains of Spain, 6kms in the distance. The hotel we are staying in tonight is our personal favourite, so far in Portugal. The dinner was also the best we have had so far in Portugal, which was very welcoming, since the previous night was the worst. We were just commenting how much better the food is in France, but this meal was right up there. We were also fortunate that there was a festival going on in the town, and it was fun to wander through the vendor stalls.

This much I know for sure......tomorrow morning will start with an awesome downhill.

All lined up and ready to roll
Heart 0 Comment 0
Get ready, get start, GO!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 35 miles (56 km)
Total: 1,341 miles (2,158 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0