Monsaraz to Evora: We have lost our cycling legs for hills! - A tour of France, and Portugal - CycleBlaze

September 29, 2014

Monsaraz to Evora: We have lost our cycling legs for hills!

I am not having much luck uploading photos with the very slow WiFi. When I try to upload a photo, it still doesn't appear after 30 minutes! Very frustrating, so I will continue with the written only.

Today was our first ride, after too many days off cycling, and we felt it. We had an elevation gain of 610 metres, which we are not used to. After cycling in France, we miss the many opportunities for expresso and pastry shops, in cute villages, which are far and few between in this area of Portugal. Our route was also not very scenic, but I am sure it will improve, so we do not have that many photos to share, even of I could upload them.

We had a brief stop and tour of a pottery shop, where they make the pottery from start to finish. As we entered the city of Evora, we had quite a distance on cobblestone streets to our hotel, inside this walled city. The Surleys don't really appreciate cobblestones! Evora is classified in Unesco's international heritage list. The Temple of Diana, on top of the hill, is an impressive Roman ruin. Evora is also famous for cork products.

Today's ride: 40 miles (64 km)
Total: 1,128 miles (1,815 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0