Day 38 - Doyle-Baker ride the Southern Tier - CycleBlaze

March 30, 2018

Day 38

Kountze, Tx. to Kirbyville , Texas

Miles: 41             Elevation:    499 ft                           Flats: 0 

We decided to have a little later start today due to the reduced mileage. Breakfast with George on the bus at 8 and we were on the road by 9:15. 

A beautiful day to ride and the first 24 miles went very well, after break we started up and darn if the winds hadn't changed and now we were dealing with head winds and a little elevation. Fortunately we have all ridden into better shape by now and although we were a little slower on the next 17 miles we still made good time and were to Kirbyville by 1:30. 

Pretty uneventful day with the exception of meeting Jessie. Jessie is a self  sustaining rider going East to West and who is a friend of Abbys. Abby is now a day or two behind us and she and Jessie were meeting up for a rest day and a day to catch up on each others news. A nice young man this is his first tour, and very bravely he is doing it alone and across country, oh to be young and fearless . He graduated college last May, isn't sure what he will do for a career so is taking this time to sort it out. We all came away feeling that he will be just fine in life. 

We ended our ride in Kirbyville where George has parked, with permission in the church parking lot. He will attend mass there and we four drove 20 miles to Jasper for lodging. No one is keen on camping tonight and there are motel is Jasper so why not. We'll drive back to Kirbyville in the morning and leave from there as Jasper is in the opposite direction as to where we want to ride tomorrow.  

Dinner at Smitty's Smokehouse tonight, I tried a new food, Boudain sausage, which was a cajun spiced rice and veggie mixture in sausage form. Interesting texture, good flavor. Not sure I'd get it again but glad I tried it. 

Smitty's Smokehouse, Jasper, Tx. very friendly staff.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 41 miles (66 km)
Total: 1,690 miles (2,720 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0