Day 39 - Doyle-Baker ride the Southern Tier - CycleBlaze

March 31, 2018

Day 39

Hello Louisiana

Kirbyville, Texas to DeRidder, Louisiana

Miles 55.0      Elevation: 615feet         Flats: 0

Started out in Kirbyville with the goal of 42.0 miles to our next stop of DeRidder. It was a pleasant and sunny morning. About 9 miles into the trip we came to a road closed sign, due to high water. Seems the rain storm had swollen the creeks around and the water  was to high and to swift across the road for us, and traffic to cross. A couple the afternoon before had attempted  but reported that it was indeed to dangerous. We were detoured to Newton, where we would pick up highway 190. This added 13miles to our trip. It was a sunny, warm day with low winds so no-one minded to much.  We have finally after 24 days of riding in Texas made it to our 5th state, Louisiana . 

Deridder, LA is home to the Lois Lofting Doll Museum and the Oldest "Hanging Jail" in Louisiana . The Hanging Jain is a gothic-looking "hanging jail" with collegiate Gothic architectural style features shallow arches, dormer windows and a center spiral staircase that leads up to three floors of jail cells, each with a toilet, shower, lavatory and window. When the jail was in use, prisoners could be seen waving from the barred windows. This unique jail was used until 1982 when it was closed. 

We have met up with Abby once again, she and a new cyclist, Derek who is traveling the world caught up and joined us here and will ride with us for a few days before heading off to New Orleans.   Like us her only problem these last few days have been dogs. How I hate when they run out at you and bark and snarl like you are their next snack food.  Jeff is pretty good at putting himself between me and the dog and I notice that Tim does this for Maggie as well.  

unexpected road closure
Heart 0 Comment 0
yes, it means us!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Plan B
Heart 0 Comment 0
welcome to Louisiana , goodbye Texas
Heart 2 Comment 1
Bob Reidwowzer must feel good to have the lone star state behind you.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
high water runs under the railroad bridge
Heart 1 Comment 0
Deridder houses the County Court house
Heart 0 Comment 0
farmers market in Deridder features a live band
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 55 miles (89 km)
Total: 1,745 miles (2,808 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0