WE DID IT...... - Doyle-Baker ride the Southern Tier - CycleBlaze

April 20, 2018

WE DID IT......

Palatka to St. Augustine, Fl. Day 57

St. Augustine arrival
Heart 0 Comment 0

The knights of the Southern Tier have completed their journey. 

Miles:  33.5        Elevation: 210 ft      Winds: major issue with head winds  of 20-25 mph from the East, gusting up to 35mph on the bridges. 

We arrived in St. Augustine today after a final ride of 33.5 miles.  We left Palaka at our usual 8 am: and rode bike trails, county roads and state highways into St. Augustine. 

We passed through rich farm land near Hastings and Spuds and learned that Hastings was the potato capital of Florida.  

St. Augustine was busy but a very welcome site. We traveled over the Lion Bridge onto Anastasia Island and Anastasia State Beach. A rousting reception awaited us at the finish line. A large gathering of our friends welcomed us with horns, leis, flags and finish line tape. It was a wonderful heart warming site. With our large group of supporters we traveled onto the beach and dip our ceremonial tire dip in the Atlantic Ocean. We all travelled back to our place at the Villages only to find the neighbors had decorated our living room with balloons and congratulation banners. We are blessed. 

Maggie, Tim, Jeff and I  all have mixed feelings , pride in  what we had just accomplished, happy to have finished the ride,  and a little emptiness as well. We will miss the companionship and friendship that we have forged over the last two months. We are glad that Abby Noon was with us for the last two days and got to finish the trek with us. We have enjoyed getting to know what this  remarkable 25 year old lady. We wish her all the best in her future and hope one day to see her again. 

Loading the tow car, one last morning
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leaving the motel one last morning
Heart 0 Comment 0
Potato fields of Hastings
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dipping of the tires at Anastasia Beach, Fl.
Heart 1 Comment 0
a wonderful group of greeters
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 34 miles (55 km)
Total: 2,728 miles (4,390 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Rob HessCongrats to all of you. Great job!
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Donna DoyleTo Rob HessThank you Rob.
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Ron BakerCongratulations, we have loved watching your journey.
Nan and Ron Baker
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Donna DoyleTo Thanks Nan & Ron
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Mike MontgomeryCongratulations on finishing a great adventure. Thank you for letting this couch potato tag along with the daily progress reports.
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Donna DoyleTo Mike MontgomeryIt was fun having you ride with us and thank you for your hospitality .
So glad you followed along, it was an amazing journey.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago