Day 56 - Doyle-Baker ride the Southern Tier - CycleBlaze

April 19, 2018

Day 56

Gainesville, Fl to Palatka, Fl

Miles 57.6         Elevation: 793 ft.   Winds: favorable from the West 

Flats: 0 

A ride with lots of trails to ride, the kind we like best. Leaving Gainesville we rode a bike trail out of the city, we did encounter a detour due to trail work but it was easy to get back on the Gainesville-Hawthorne State Trail. A tail wind always helps as we traveled along was helpful. County Rd. 219A was not enjoyable  as the surface was described as "alligator road" , as you rode along you struggle to find any smooth surface to ride on, saving grace  was the light traffic.  A new trail, The Lake Butler Trail into Palatka was very enjoyable. We encountered a cyclist  that explained the trail continued on another 5 miles and saved us from going an extra 6 miles. Through Palaka downtown we traveled  over the St. John River Bridge to our  overnight location. A beautiful River.  We met some fellow  Southern Tier Riders today who will also be finishing tomorrow , they joined us for dinner and shared trip stories. It was a pleasant evening. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
St. John River Bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
dinner in Palatka with fellow southern tier riders, Abby, Tom and Rob
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 58 miles (93 km)
Total: 2,694 miles (4,336 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Mike MontgomeryCongratulations. Wish we could be there to celebrate with you. See you on the return trip.
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
M L ScheelDonna: Ditto to Mike's comments....I've enjoyed reading about this journey and participating in a tiny part of it when you rode through Louisiana. My congrats to you, Jeff, Maggie, Tim, George, Abby, and of course Wilson who so generously allowed you to visit his home! Looking forward to reading the final installment with the final photos of the Atlantic dipping.

I'm off to Europe next Tues so I'll probably miss the Bakers' triumphant return to NOLA, but I'll be in touch!!

Great job, and stay safe over you upcoming adventures!

- Marti
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
M L ScheelDonna: Ditto to Mike's comments....I've enjoyed reading about this journey and participating in a tiny part of it when you rode through Louisiana. My congrats to you, Jeff, Maggie, Tim, George, Abby, and of course Wilson who so generously allowed you to visit his home! Looking forward to reading the final installment with the final photos of the Atlantic dipping.

I'm off to Europe next Tues so I'll probably miss the Bakers' triumphant return to NOLA, but I'll be in touch!!

Great job, and stay safe over you upcoming adventures!

- Marti
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Donna DoyleTo Mike Montgomerythanks Mike, its an amazing feeling
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Donna DoyleTo M L Scheelthanks Marti, enjoy Europe
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Thomas ZimlichDonna and the gang,
Congratulations on a fabulous finish.! Jill and I were glad to share a few moments with you towards the end of your journey. Can't wait to hear about your next adventure.
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Donna DoyleTo Thomas ZimlichCongratulations to you as well, well done. Good luck with your new adventure wherever it may lead you both
Reply to this comment
6 years ago