Day 55 - Doyle-Baker ride the Southern Tier - CycleBlaze

April 18, 2018

Day 55

High Springs, Fl. - Gainesville, Fl.

 Miles: 28             Elevation: 600 ft          Winds: favorable             Flats: 0 

Today is the two month anniversary of our leaving San Diego. 2,636 miles to date. 

After a late start this morning partly due to a shortened ride day and a very slow breakfast we made our way down highway 441 towards Gainesville. Winds were favorable  and the temperature ranged from 60-80 during our ride time. Along the way we stopped at the Devil's Millhopper Geological State Park just outside of Gainesville. Its a very large sinkhole with a boardwalk around, and stairs down to it managed by the State Parks. Unfortunately for us the boardwalk and stairs were closed off due to damage from a recent hurricane and will not reopen according to one State Ranger until at least the new year. Check out the web site below to see photos of the Park, mine are from a distance. 

https://www.floridastateparks....

Arrived in Gainesville early afternoon. We are staying down in the University district . Tim did a great job of showing us around his old school, the University of Florida. It is a beautiful campus. He is very proud of his alma mater .  We did have an opportunity to visit one of Gainesville's six bike shops and my kick-stand has been replaced . 

Abby has joined back up with us and we enjoyed catching up with her at dinner. She will ride to the coast with us. She has been putting in some very long days, averaging 70 miles daily. She is looking forward to the slower pace with us. ( my words, not hers)

Dinner at The Top on Main St.  was fun and delicious. I would highly recommend dining there if in Gainesville. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
look for the milky-green colored water in photo, that is the sink hole area , it is massive
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 28 miles (45 km)
Total: 2,636 miles (4,242 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0