Riding day 3: Peninsula SP via Bailey's Harbor, Whitefish Dunes SP back to Sturgeon Bay - Door county Peninsula tour - CycleBlaze

July 16, 2012

Riding day 3: Peninsula SP via Bailey's Harbor, Whitefish Dunes SP back to Sturgeon Bay

Peninsula SP turned out to be a really interesting one, with a super beach adjacent to the campground.

The three stooges
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our tent site was nestled in many trees; nice and shady. Cal especially like to swim and took advantage of the beach. There were plenty of bikes seen during our tour but I only saw one more recumbent, an E bike here at this beach.

Giro at the beach
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beach at Peninsula SP
Heart 0 Comment 0

An early start eluded us this morning, so riding in any shaded areas was a real plus. We wanted to see the dunes at the Whitefish Dunes SP, so headed back southeast toward it. Reaching the eastern shore at Bailey's Harbor, we found a lovely little bakery and ice cream parlor and feasted on home baked wares there for a bit. Fishing is really big at these places and Bailey's was no exception.

Spoon and C.R. at Bailey's Harbor
Heart 0 Comment 0

The few hills we had ride were mostly on this day as we cut cross country toward it. Rural to the max, there were again many farms and meadows, but lots and lots of trees rimming the roads the nearer to the SP we rode. This isn't a full facility park, but does have a fairly decent beach but in my mind not as nice as yesterday's. There was no charge for this visit so we left our bikes with the gate lady and took a walk along the back of the dunes. Wild raspberries grew along the walkway so we sampled them as we walked.

We had a little trouble picking our way back to Sturgeon Bay, as we did not wish to ride either US 42 or US 57, both very busy thoroughfares. The day grew very hot now, the hottest day we experienced, so we were quite tired getting back to the city. It was an uncharacteristic 97 degrees after we climbed the bridge back over the bay. But we had no trouble finding a tent spot right in town!

Beeg tent
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 miles (77 km)
Total: 145 miles (233 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0