Bolzano To Trento. - Dyn-o-mite In The Dolomites 2022 - CycleBlaze

July 22, 2022

Bolzano To Trento.

Easiest cycling day of the tour so far. A long meander down the Adige River towards Trento. Just what we needed.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I'm sure that you are well aware of the extreme temperatures that are gripping much of Europe, as high temperatures never before recorded are being felt right across much of the continent.   When we tried to go to sleep last night at 10pm, the temperatures were still in the 30's, and the lowest  overnight temperature was hovering around 28; which makes sleeping a real challenge, as you can imagine.

Two nights without air conditioning in Bolzano was enough.  Although we had originally planned on spending three nights in Bolzano, our time here was cut short by the extreme temperatures; and after two sweltering sleepless nights, we decided to move on towards Trento for a hotel with air conditioning.   This is unfortunate, because we did have some day rides planned.  One north to Merano, and another up to the high plateau above Bolzano.  But, the heat turned us into sloths, and made it challenging do to much of anything.

We were fully prepared to lose the payment of the third night at the Villa Anita, but the wonderful hosts only charged us 24 Euros for the third unoccupied night.   Thank you Villa Anita.  A lovely little place.

The following images are a photo dump of our walks around Bolzano yesterday evening.  

Bolzano street scene. What we loved about this street was the porticos.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Bolzano.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the many passagios that lead you down small narrow corridors to the next parallel street.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A place we stopped for lunch off the Obstplatz. A great little place called the Black Sheep.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Outlook onto the the streets of the Obstplatz from inside the Black Sheep.
Heart 2 Comment 0

So.  On to today's ride, and perhaps our easiest ride of the tour so far.  It was a perfect ride for our sleep deprived bodies.  Although the temperatures were expected to creep into the high 30's, and even possibly the low 40's, the ride descends down river along the Adige cycle route towards Trento.  The entire route, which was almost 70kms today, was on a well marked and segregated cycle route.  No cars.  Just pedal and enjoy the passing scenery.  Amazing!

Crossing the Torrente Talvera, a tributary of the Adige River. It meets the Adige a few hundred meters from here.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Along the Adige cycle route. This is pretty much it for the entire 65kms today. Just fantastic cycling hemmed in by vineyards, limestone cliffs, orchards and, strangely enough; asparagus as far as the eye could see. After all, part of this route is coincidentally called the Asparagus route.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Like this. All day!
Heart 5 Comment 0
And, more of this!
Heart 4 Comment 0

It takes a bit of getting used to leaving the dramatic scenery of the characteristic Dolomite limestone spires, towers, high alpine passes and stunning alpine scenery.  Apart from the stark difference in temperature,  the Adige valley has a more subdued beauty, with its broad open orchards, vineyards and busy valley bottom traffic corridors.  For eons, humans have lived, worked, cultivated, traded and traveled along valley bottoms, so it's no surprise to us that the Adige still remains a corridor of activity.  But, it is also incredibly stunning in its own right.  

We are travelling along the Via Claudia Augusta here; an ancient trade and travel route linking the Po River and Adriatic to the Danube in the north.  Although the Roman emperor Claudia Augusta most notably built and expanded upon the route here two thousand years ago, its origins as a travel route and path go back even further than that and was used by various groups such as the Celts, Raetians, Venetians, Ligurians and Etruscans.  Click on the link above for more information.  

Maybe grapes for the infamous Trento Doc sparkling wine in this region.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Sus passing apple orchards to the left, and the Adige River on our right. Throughout the day we would criss-cross over the Adige from the left bank to the right on our way south towards Trento.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The direct overhead light and cloudless sky today made it difficult to get decent shots, but you get the picture. A house drowning in a sea of grape vines.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Experimenting with a 'vingette' feature on my phone.
Heart 3 Comment 0

The ride was spectacular today.  Although it was a hot one, when you have the cooling affect of the air flowing against you as you pedal, it just doesn't seem as bad.  It's only when you stop, that you feel the intensity of the heat; so we kept up a steady pace today.

We're hemmed in between soaring limestone cliffs during this part of the ride.
Heart 6 Comment 0
It's strange to think that we are only about 20kms away from Levico Terme, where we went on a day ride during our stay in Borgo Valsugana. If you recall, we were there about two weeks ago.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A brief respite of shade during the ride today. There wasn't much of it, that's for sure.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sue.
Heart 3 Comment 0
There's that drowning house again.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Geraniums and the Adige.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

By the time we had reached Trento, the heat had had its way with us, and we were glad to check into the Grand Hotel Trento.  As soon as we walked through the revolving glass doors, a wall of cold air slapped us both across the face.  We turned to one another and let out an audible and grateful gasp.  Ahhhhh!

The temperature in the old town of Trento.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
We found a table in a bit of shade in the center of town and had an Aperol Spritz. We spent the next hour, eating wonderful food, and watching people in the square. A wonderful way to pass the time.
Heart 6 Comment 0
One happy gal.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 66 km (41 miles)
Total: 566 km (351 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rachael AndersonI don’t know how you are dealing with the heat. We had one really hot day and it was awful! They don’t do air conditioning in the accommodations we are staying in. I’m glad you got an easier day and a hotel with air conditioning. We loved the route you took when we did it.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick O'HaraHey Rachael. Our life saver is the air conditioning, for sure. In the mountains, the temps were hot, but they really cooled off at night. But, here on the Adige, it's down right oppressive. I remember your trip when you passed this way. You guys are always inspiring us with your routes. We have a very short 25km ride to Rovereto today, so we're not going to be in the heat for long.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago