Trento to Rovereto. - Dyn-o-mite In The Dolomites 2022 - CycleBlaze

July 23, 2022

Trento to Rovereto.

Our unexpected stay in Trento added an extra stop to our original plan to cycle from Bolzano to Rovereto. Therefore, today's stage was extra short. Only about 30 kms from Trento to Rovereto. All down hill. All stonking tailwind.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our unplanned stop in search of accommodation with air conditioning was a success, and the Grand Hotel Trento delivered exactly what we needed.  A cool room with an excellent breakfast.  It was hard to leave this morning, but push on we must.

Since we have a short day of cycling ahead, we had time after breakfast to head back into the old town for another look around before packing up and heading south towards Rovereto.   First, we headed to the imposing Buonconsiglio Castle with its crenellated towers.  We were surprised that we could enter and snoop around, since it looked like tickets were required to enter.  We thought that perhaps part of the castle is always open to the public, while other parts required paid entry.  Nevertheless, it was interesting to imagine a time long ago when this was the seat of the Bishopdom of Trent in the 13th century.   It's an immense and dominating structure in Trento and indicates the sheer power of the church at that time. 

Only a small part of the castle for this photo.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We headed back into the old town, and took a few more photos.  Trento was quiet this morning, and  we just took our time roaming around.

Frescos decorate the building in the Piazza del Duomo. The Cattedrale di San Vigilio reflected in the lower right window, as a pigeon looks on unimpressed.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Scott AndersonI love this building.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Fontana del Nettuno (Neptune holding his trident) located right in the center of the Piazza del Duomo.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heading to the Cattedrale di San Vigilio?
Heart 3 Comment 0
Discarded fruit boxes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view from our room just before heading off for the day. Looking towards the old town.
Heart 4 Comment 0
One of our many crossing of the Adige. The volume of the river noticeably increasing as we head downstream. This is a north facing view with the current running towards you.
Heart 2 Comment 0
You can tell by the upturned light side of these stalks of corn which way the wind is blowing. Like I said, a stonking tailwind today.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Along the Adige cycle route.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The concrete galleries to the left of Sue is where the trains travel through potentially hazardous terrain. They are built to protect the tracks and trains from rockfall from above.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Along the Adige.
Heart 2 Comment 0

It was such a short cycling day, that there is not much to report.  Today we experienced much cooler temperatures, and a strong wind helped to cool things off significantly.  We even felt a few insignificant drops of rain that didn't amount to much at all.

Along the Adige.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Nearing Rovereto, our route diverted us through a few kms of grape crops. They're not ripe yet, but many of the vines were beginning to get heavy with fruit.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I lay on my back for this shot.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rovereto. Waiting for our room to be ready.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rovereto.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 30 km (19 miles)
Total: 596 km (370 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0