Day 7 - Weltenburg to Regensburg - Donaueschingen to Prague - CycleBlaze

September 13, 2019

Day 7 - Weltenburg to Regensburg

A river cruise

Today was an interesting and shorter day of only 40km.  We got a late start on the first ferry (10AM) from the Weltenburg Abbey to Kelheim.  It was a beautiful cruise through the Danube gorge.  Amazingly our direction took only 25 min but it takes 45 min to go in the other direction because of the very strong current.  Once in Kelheim we headed toward Regensburg riding predominantly on dirt trail along the Danube.   We stopped in Bad Addach for coffee before continuing.  We decided to stop in Reggensburg early because the next reasonable place was too far away, we wanted to see some of Regensburg and it is Friday so we were concerned about a place to stay.  The latter proved to be founded because many of the hotels we sold out.  We did get rooms but not exactly where we wanted.  Nonetheless we wandered the streets after cleaning up, had a post ride drink and a great pizza dinner.  We are planning on an earlier start and a longer day tomorrow to make up for today’s short ride.

The city of Regennsburg  dates back to over 2000 years and has many surging medieval buildings.  The Stone bridge is the oldest stone bridge in all of Germany.  It is a city of 100,000+ people and definitely worth a visit.

The abbey in early morning light.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Swimming in the Danube is forbidden and if you see the current you understand why.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Flood markings on the side of the abbey.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My room in the abbey hotel. The markings above the door are a German traditional put there on the epiphany (Jan 6) a Christian blessing of the house.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The boat approaching the dock.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of the abbey as we sail away.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The rock walls of the Danube gorge.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Approaching Kelheim. The Hall of Liberation on the hill is a monument to German soldiers who liberated Germany from Napoleonic rule.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A view of the monument closer to Kelheim.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our bikes on the boat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A bicycle coffee stop.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Entering Bad Addach for coffee.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Passing through the gate.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A May pole in Bad Addach.
Heart 0 Comment 0
They make everything into pretzel shape.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonOh my, count me in for this puppy!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
The cathedral in Reggensburg dating back to the 1200s.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Rathaus and Ratskellar in Reggensburg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our pizza dinner.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith ClassenDid you really eat all that pizza? Good work! Carol’s look a bit small!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
A prediction of David and Goliath painted on the building wall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Celebrating another day.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 40 km (25 miles)
Total: 903 km (561 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Gail JohnsonThe water looked so calm on the river - certainly can trick someone into believing that there is hardly any current. Looks like you are all doing well. I cannot believe the size of the donut and then there is that pizza that looks like it can feed an army. You are definitely not starving! And they say America has big portions...
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Hilary JaegerLooks like this was a lovely day. I bet you are not sad to have left the rain and mud behind. Beautiful rock faces along the cruise route. Oh, Gail, this is Germany - land of two schnitzels at dinner, fried potatoes with everything (bratkartoffeln) and litre mugs of beer. We referred to our time working in Germany as “the 15 pound posting”, referring to the average amount of weight gained in a two to three year tour of duty.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago