Day 6 - Neuburg to Weltenburg - Donaueschingen to Prague - CycleBlaze

September 12, 2019

Day 6 - Neuburg to Weltenburg

A night in an abbey

Another great day on the bike.  It was cloudy but no rain in the morning but sunny and warm in the afternoon.  At least 80% of today’s ride was on crushed stone not unlike the galloping goose at home.  It was also flat and usually on the top of a dyke as in Richmond BC.  We spent more time riding was built in the directly beside the Danube than in previous days but there were a few excursions away from the river.  Our gasthaus where we stayed last night  did not serve breakfast but we found and amazing café that catered to cyclists so we had a great breakfast with enough left over to make a sandwich for lunch.  We stopped in Ingolstadt for coffee and then carried on to the Weltenburg Abbey.  This was not our original plan but it was a good thing we ran into a local who set us straight.   I had misunderstood the guide book and we might  have gone in the wrong direction if we had not met this man.   While riding we chatted and he told me that he had spent 1.5 years (2 winters) in Fort MacMurray back in the late 70’s.  He is retired now and rides his e-bike along the trails.  He showed us a short cut, albeit a little tricky on our bikes but it shortened the route by 7-8km so more time for beer.   Once at the Weltenburg Abbey we had a beer from the brewery that dates back to 1050.  We also discovered that they have a hotel so we decide to stay put and enjoy the peace and quiet of the abbey (and the ceiling did not collapse).    The rooms were basic but modern and I felt like I was back in army barracks complete with reveille at 5AM but with clanging church bells instead of a bugle.   For dinner I had one of  their specialties which was venison meatballs, red cabbage and spatzle (egg noodles).  Tomorrow we are taking the boat to Kelheim (5km) to enjoy the view of the Danube gorge and to cross the river.  We finished 400km as of today and we have 200k to reach Passau which is where the river is navigable by river cruise boats.

The sign outside our breakfast stop welcome cyclists.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Breakfast of orange juice, 2 types of bread, ham, scrambled eggs, yoghurt with fruit and muesli and butter.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Taking a short rest in the comfy chairs along the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of many bridges across the Danube into Ingolstadt.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are in beer country so of course they grow hops.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A little single track on a direct line to the Weltenburg Abbey.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Patti too. That is the Danube River is beside her so you can’t get much closer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A sure sign of a potty stop for a couple of girls.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A wooden barge that crosses the river near the abbey.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Weltenburg Abbey where they have been making beer since 1050. Do you think they know how to make beer?
Heart 0 Comment 0
The church at the Abbey. We are spending the night here in nice but basic accommodation. At least it is quiet except for the church bells.
Heart 0 Comment 0
To another good day on the bike.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 69 km (43 miles)
Total: 972 km (604 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Wendy JonesHey Margaret,
I've been following you 4 along your journey and as usual you are posting a delightful blog with fabulous photos! Keep having fun so I can keep having fun with you all! Wendy
Reply to this comment
4 years ago