Day 3 - Riedlingen to Ulm - Donaueschingen to Prague - CycleBlaze

September 9, 2019

Day 3 - Riedlingen to Ulm

Zigzagging across the Danube

Ron and Carol didn’t trust the weatherman so they started with all of their rain gear but after 10km they were stripping it off.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These dudes serenaded me while I was taking their photo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A very narrow bridge paralleling the train track. It took all of our concentration to cross as you can tell by the look on Patti’s face.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of many Danube crossings.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another monastery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have seen many hawks but I caught this one sitting on a fence post.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonLooks like this guy is on mouse patrol.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
If it wasn’t for river crossings it was corn fields (cow corn) as the order of the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A funky fountain in Ehingen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patti and her very green bike buddy.
Heart 2 Comment 0

After battling rain all day yesterday we were not in a hurry to get away this morning since the forecast was to clear by 11AM so we decided on a late start.  Fortunately we were in a very nice hotel and we all slept well for a change.  We enjoyed a lovely breakfast and packed up our dry kit and departed around 11 in cloudy but not raining skies.  As the day wore on it warmed up but still not really summer weather.  Nonetheless we had another lovely ride on the Donauweg (Euro Vélo 6) bike trails.  We stopped in Ehingen to try and fix Carol’s phone that has gone kaput, and have lunch.  No luck on the former but lunch was fine.  We then rode off to Ulm which is the largest place that we have been so far.  It is best known for its amazing cathedral, the tallest in the world.  The biggest thing of note today on our 74km trek was that we went back and forth across the Danube at least a dozen times.

Some rowers on the Danube.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A replica Danube barge from days gone by.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our first view of the cathedral as we walk the pedestrian mall in Ulm.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of the canals and old buildings in old Ulm.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I found a new bike as well.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Gail JohnsonOh, it is so YOU!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Beth KavanaghAgreed! I somehow can't even imagine Marg riding "that" bike:) LOL
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
This beautiful timbered building dates back to the 1400s.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The magnificent cathedral.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Beth KavanaghThat is spectacular!!!!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

Today's ride: 74 km (46 miles)
Total: 1,181 km (733 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Gail JohnsonBeautiful photos. Good to see you all looking a bit less water logged and smiling. I hope Carol gets her phone fixed, that has to be frustrating.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago