To Pucon: Down, down, down. - Cycling Chile - CycleBlaze

January 7, 2018

To Pucon: Down, down, down.

For every up there must be a down and today we had the latter. The total ride was 68km with 1500ft of climbing but 4000ft of descending. In the first 37km alone we descended 2600+ft and with some of our group faster than others we re-grouped at the puma sculpture as seen in the photos. Once there we carried on in a southly direction for another 31 km until lunch. In this section there was one reasonable climb but nothing like yesterday. Thankfully this was the case because my legs were talking back to me today and reminding me about yesterday. I often had to think about Jens Voight’s famous saying “shut up legs”. After lunch we drove to Pucón because the only way to get here was on the national highway and we are not allowed to cycle on it. Our tour operator is extremely keen to give us a genuine Chilean experience so all our meals are in local restaurants featuring the local cuisine, beverages and entertainment and tonight was no different.

A beautiful start to the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The puma sculpture where we regrouped, puma still exist in the mountains here but are rarely seen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patti taking on the puma.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A panorama view of the ride today with two volcanoes in the distance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As mentioned this is a very catholic country so you find many small shrines like this one in front of people’s properties.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At dinner last night we were entertained by several musicians who seemed to roam from restaurant to restaurant playing and passing the hat. This gentleman was the first.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My dinner tonight was another local dish. It is a pot pie made with a corn meal crust. Inside there is beef, chicken, some vegetables and half of a hard boiled egg. It was very tasty and filling.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More performers. This fellow and his partner apparently represent a classical Chilean form of entertainment.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our restaurant.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Victoria gang trying to hitch hike home. Who knew there was a town called Victoria in Chile
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 68 km (42 miles)
Total: 161 km (100 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0