Lake Caburgua: Huife Hot Springs - Cycling Chile - CycleBlaze

January 8, 2018

Lake Caburgua: Huife Hot Springs

Today we had a fairly short ride of only 45km nonetheless we still climbed 2200+ft. It was a not a terriblly onerous climb except for one nasty little bit that hit 18% near the top. As I understand tomorrow’s ride this will be good preparation. The route was a “V” where we road up the left side, the short leg, to Lake Caburgua and the right side of the “V” was up to the Huife thermal baths and lunch. The roads in Chile thus far have been very good and I am told will be from here on out but today was not the case. They were quite rough with major pot holes consequently our tour leader only let us ride down the right side with extreme caution and we took the van down the left side. This was definitely the best for safety because it was very hard to see many of the potholes in the shade and hitting some of them with any speed would definitely ruin your day. The Thermas Huife is only one of many along the road but it was lovely to enjoy a soak after a hard ride and a big lunch. Some brave souls (not me) took a dip in the snow melt rivers to cool off between dips. Once back at the hotel we wandered into town for some retail therapy, wine and Diet Coke and a light dinner.

Thx to someone reading my blog I now know that this bird is a Southern Lapwing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view down Lake Caburgua this morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A Southern Lapwing again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Across the lake from just below our hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These funky lamps from tree branches are throughout the hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Villarrica volcano with a small puff of smoke at the top.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A closer view of Villarrica an active volcano.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A roadside bicycle decorated for the Christmas season.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Four Sisters of No Mercy on the shores of Lake Caburgua.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hilary arriving at Lake Caburgua with Villarrica in the background.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One more view of the volcano acros some pasture land. If you look very carefully there is a little whiff of smoke coming out of the top,
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is beef cattle country and this beautiful specimen moo’d at me as I went by so I stopped to take her pictures.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These outdoor fitness facilities are quite common here, perhaps Trilogy should instal one for use In the cooler months.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patti pointing a road sign we love.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This sign not so much. I figured out there is a code to the road signs. If it has a car it is less steep in whatever direction it is pointing. If it is a truck steeper.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A future sticker for my bike box.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another good Chilean local ale.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beautiful salad at lunch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My sandwich at lunch is another traditional food and delicious. It was beef and bacon with cheese, lettuce and tomatoes all of which are fresh and tasty.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The sandwich was enormous as Patti demonstrates.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I mentioned that some brave souls went into cold river. Here we have Ron on the rocks working his way in and Patti dunking herself completely.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A panoramic view of the pool complex.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Anothe Piscos Sour because it was Happy Hour with a light dinner.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sunset over Lake Villarrica.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I did mention retail therapy, one never has enough T shirts.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This chocolate hockey puck is cookie, crushed almonds and chocolate another local speciality.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A map of our region.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 km (28 miles)
Total: 206 km (128 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0