October 10th - Taiwan Lockdown - CycleBlaze

October 10, 2023

October 10th

Out with Debbie on 10/10

 Well, summer has finally ended. A typhoon put finally pay to that and radically changed things. It's now in the pleasant high twenties rather than the steaming low thirties. 

 The timing is good, as it's a long weekend here: four-days off work to celebrate Taiwan's national day. On Sunday, Debbie and I went for a short ride beside the river and likewise yesterday, so we're on a hat-trick today, with the idea being to pedal out to Longtan for a coffee and a look around.  The clock in the living room says getting on for 11 o'clock when we venture outside with the bikes.  

 The white-painted place on the corner hasn't changed in the past few months: still not open, it's become even more of an enigma.

Rounding the corner of our block - the 'shop' still not open
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding out of Longtan
Heart 2 Comment 0

 Coffee in Longtan is at Louisa as usual and we then ride out on back streets towards rice fields on the town's southern periphery. It takwes a few minutes before we reach the flat areas that currently have rice standing a couple of feet tall that's swaying in the breeze. The narrow path follows a winding stream that's hemmed in by deep walls and we leave that and head to a spot that sells dumplings as it's lunch time.  

South of Longtan
Heart 1 Comment 0
In the cafe
Heart 1 Comment 1
Scott AndersonThis would be perfect with a mail slot in it.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago

 The cafe is simple and has about six tables and a few are occupied. We get one below a TV screen that's showing local news, but which is mostly dash-cam footage of road accidents. 

 I have some steamed dumplings and Debbie gets some dried tofu.

 We're in no rush to get home, so once almost at a junction with highway 66, we take a path that follows a canal. 

Lunch
Heart 2 Comment 0
Roller door
Heart 2 Comment 0
Shadow
Heart 1 Comment 0
Four discarded betel nut packets
Heart 1 Comment 0
The path beside the canal
Heart 0 Comment 0
Always good to know
Heart 0 Comment 0

 The path is flat and the wind wafts us along nicely. This is cycling made easy.

 There are very few people around and not a lot to photograph. 

 My mind is on doing a trip for a few days, but the forecast for the weekend isn't great. The plan is to go over to the issland's east coast and ride into the mountains, but that far side of Taiwan gets the most rain. Now the eather has cooled, I just have to wait for a chance when the weather is like this.  

For Scott
Heart 3 Comment 2
Scott AndersonOh, here’s one. This guy’s cute with his little antennae!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Graham FinchGlad you like it. I think it's a propane bottle - or made to look like one - and that thing on top is a valve, with handles either side.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Tiles
Heart 2 Comment 0
Roller door
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 30 km (19 miles)
Total: 3,240 km (2,012 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0