Journal Comments - Taiwan Lockdown - CycleBlaze

From Taiwan Lockdown by Graham Finch

Graham Finch commented on a photo in June 10th

Good question, Scott... I'm slightly disoriented.

I've added a map with a viewpoint icon on to my other journal and this photo was taken looking northeast-ish, towards Taipei. On a good day you can spot Taipei 101... it would be just to the right of my shot.

I can't figure out how an expanse of ocean is visible. Weird!

Scott Anderson commented on a photo in June 10th

I can’t quite get the orientation here. What is the high ground in the center?

Graham Finch replied to a comment by Gregory Garceau on June 8th

I should have said impatience gets the better of me - and a lack of natural talent.

Graham Finch replied to a comment by Gregory Garceau on June 8th

Hi, Greg

I wish my writing was better - my patience tends to get the better of me and being more descriptive and witty is something that always impresses me in journals, and writing in general. My snaps help give my journals an evocation of the ride and you're kind words are much appreciated.

Graham Finch replied to a comment by Scott Anderson on June 8th

Hi, Scott

My speed up that climb was pedestrian, which allowed me to spot them and it was nice to pause for a breather - and it seemed odd that two had got squashed together. Who knows what they were up to in their final moments. The iridescent green is very special and I can't recall seeing any on the road before.

Scott Anderson commented on June 8th

You’ve got an interesting eye, Graham. Most folks wouldn’t take note of a couple of squashed scarabs on the pavement, much less return the next day to see if they were still there.

Gregory Garceau commented on June 8th

Hi Graham,
I am a big fan of words. I'm a big fan of detailed descriptions. Your words are great. But, man, your pictures are really all the description anybody could need.

Graham Finch commented on a photo in June 7th

Thanks - that's the one... Torynorrhina flammea chicheryi. I just knew they were some kind of scarab.

Their iridescence caught my eye as I cycled up a hill.

Bill Shaneyfelt commented on a photo in June 7th

Scarab beetles. Possibly this one.

Graham Finch commented on a photo in June 6th

Hi, Scott

It's warm here, even though it's wet. I had shorts on, as you can see, and a short-sleeved top and felt comfortable.

It'll be really hard to get out soon, once this rainy period ends, which will be soon.

Scott Anderson commented on a photo in June 6th

You’re making me feel better about our current streak of very hot but DRY days.

Graham Finch commented on a photo in June 3rd

I do wonder when the day will come when riding becomes an issue. Who knows how we'll feel in the years ahead. Obviously health is vital, but the will needs to be there. Maybe riding a trike will help.

Scott Anderson replied to a comment by Graham Finch on a photo in June 3rd

Well, after a too-hot ride like today’s, I think maybe 74. On a good day though, perhaps 80-85. By then it might sound quite nice to spend my days staring at a Go board instead of the pavement ahead.

Graham Finch replied to a comment by Scott Anderson on a photo in June 3rd

The two men were engrossed and I don't think they noticed me taking their photo.

What's 'really' old?

Graham Finch commented on a photo in June 3rd

Hi, Scott

It was a nice little spin today. Rain is forecast this weekend, so hopefully it stays relatively cool and I can get out again with the camera.

I do miss the coffee shops being open. Louisa shops make good coffee.. better than Starbucks and quite a bit cheaper.