Day 4 - Lith to Cuijk - Floating Across The Netherlands - Tandem Tour - July 2022 - CycleBlaze

July 5, 2022

Day 4 - Lith to Cuijk

In which we see a stork’s nest

Heart 0 Comment 0

This morning the routine was a bit different.  We woke up as the barge’s engines fired up at 7AM, and we sailed away from Heusden.  Breakfast was served en route to our starting point: The tiny village of Lith near the bigger town of OSS.

Due to the morning travel, our start was a bit later than usual.  We rolled off at about 10AM, with a fresh western wind at our backs.  

Starting the day off with a windmill
Heart 4 Comment 0

Our route today was along the Maas (Meuse) river, through the wetlands that form around its meanders, and through the small towns that have lined its banks for centuries.  It’s a watery world.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Robin is still marveling over the houses and gardens
Heart 4 Comment 0
A good way to mow the grass, I guess.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Scott AndersonAnd cute! Much more attractive than those rowing robots we’re starting to see.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsAnd I bet it automatically replenishes the fertilizer, too.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
More impossible hydrangeas
Heart 4 Comment 0

Much of the route was on the top of the dikes that protect the villages from high water.  With a good breeze at our back, it made for quick riding.

Hard to beat this for great cycling
Heart 3 Comment 0

We passed a couple of lovely cafes in Megen, but it was too early to stop and the clouds were spitting rain at us.  Leaving town, though, we spotted a stork’s nest on an old building at the edge of town.  Believe it or not, we had never seen one of these in the wild before.  And as a bonus, there was a baby stork in the nest!!

Wait!! That’s a stork’s nest!!
Heart 5 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonI’m glad you got to see a stork nest and baby finally! I love storks.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Mom (or Dad) was standing guard
Heart 5 Comment 0
And junior was checking out the action down below
Heart 6 Comment 0

This was pretty exciting stuff for us, but we tore ourselves away and trundled along to Ravenstein.  This sleepy little town was once the capital of a (very small) country.  The tourist information office will even issue you a visa if you ask for it.   But in today’s configuration, Ravenstein  hadn’t yet woken up.  So we nosed around a bit and continued on our way.

Ravenstein
Heart 5 Comment 0
Of course it has its own windmill
Heart 2 Comment 0

Onward across the dikes!   We were impressed by this herd of cows, who are either part-time rugby players or are bar-coded.  We’re not sure which.

Heart 2 Comment 2
Kathleen JonesBelted Galloways I bet. A wonderful breed. But I just love the name.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonI’ve never seen this breed. Delightful.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Lunch was in the town of Grave, in a cute riverside cafe.

Lunch stop with beer
Heart 4 Comment 0
Because there aren’t enough pictures of our tour photographer
Heart 5 Comment 2
Keith AdamsTo Scott AndersonTee hee hee... :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

After lunch we continued on into this watery world.  We passed by several large lakes, one of which had a large marina and sailboats on it.

Heart 2 Comment 0

And eventually we swung in for a landing in Cuijk, our destination for the day.   We sat on a bench along the river and discussed our day, and in about 20 minutes, the Sarah came gliding up the river.

Our hotel room arrives
Heart 3 Comment 0

Once they were tied up, Captain Martien and Mate Romek rolled out the gangplank and welcomed us on board.

Heart 2 Comment 0

We were pretty far ahead of everyone else, so we cleaned up and took a walk into Cuijk.   Our first stop was St. Martijn’s church, built in the early 1900’s

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

Then a wander around town and a Dutch specialty- Softijs.  Robin’s been looking forward to this…

When in Holland…
Heart 4 Comment 0

When we got back to the barge, the others were just arriving.  We relaxed while watching the river traffic go by until dinner.  

After dinner Robin joined an expedition to visit a local museum and climb an old church tower.  Rich doesn’t do heights, so stayed on the boat and worked on this journal.

The river Maas from the tower in Cuijk
Heart 4 Comment 0
From the tower in Cuijk
Heart 6 Comment 0
Robin is up there somewhere!
Heart 2 Comment 0

And that’s it for today!

Today's ride: 56 km (35 miles)
Total: 195 km (121 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0