Day 5 - Cuijk to Arcen - Floating Across The Netherlands - Tandem Tour - July 2022 - CycleBlaze

July 6, 2022

Day 5 - Cuijk to Arcen

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today the alarm jolted us both out of a deep sleep.  I guess we’re getting enough exercise!   We stumbled through breakfast and with the help of too much coffee, we were sort of ready to go shortly after 9AM.

Today’s ride was even more remote than yesterday’s.  We spent most of the day in the company of fields.  Corn, carrots, potatoes, and sugar beets figured prominently in the roadside attractions.

We also saw lots of hedgerows
Heart 0 Comment 0

The day was enlivened by 3 ferry crossings over the Maas.  On our first one, we rolled onto the ferry just as they dropped the gate.  Good timing!

On ferry number 1
Heart 4 Comment 0

We traversed a lot of pretty but unremarkable countryside today.  In Well, we saw a beautiful castle, but it was not open for visitors.

Heart 5 Comment 0

We rode a bit further to a lovely overlook on the river, where we ate the sandwiches we had made at breakfast.

Lunch along the river in Well
Heart 3 Comment 0

A little  further, we had or second ferry crossing.

Ferry number 2
Heart 3 Comment 2
Keith AdamsWhat a dainty-looking little ferry! But quite nicely kept up. I like the color scheme although it looks more Swedish than Dutch.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rich FrasierTo Keith AdamsI'm not sure whether it's intentional, but the colors match the national railway system trains (NS). I love these ferries!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We were way ahead of schedule, so took a break for a drink at Tante Jet’s, at the top of the ferry ramp.  The last time I was here was in 1997 on a bike tour with daughter K.

Tante Jet’s from the water
Heart 0 Comment 0
For Scott. Another Robin and beer picture
Heart 4 Comment 1
Scott AndersonKeep ‘em coming. Try for one with Robin without horns next time though, OK?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

The run in to Arcen was easy, on impressive bicycle infrastructure.

Sweet cycling!
Heart 2 Comment 0

Our last ferry took us back across the river to Arcen.

On Ferry number 3
Heart 2 Comment 0

The Sarah was waiting for us, so we loaded the bike, took showers, and headed out to visit the local star attraction:  The Arcen Castle Gardens.

Entrance to the castle gardens
Heart 2 Comment 0

The gardens were really cool, and since we have a couple of garden projects in the works at home, we scouted for ideas and took way too many pictures.  Here is a small sample.

The main rose garden
Heart 1 Comment 0
The tree bridge
Heart 1 Comment 0
Water features prominently in these gardens
Heart 1 Comment 0
My lovely co-pilot and navigator.
Heart 2 Comment 0

After the ride and walk, we were ready for a break, which was provided by a cute cafe in downtown Arcen.  Then back to the boat for dinner and another lovely evening on the river.

Today's ride: 53 km (33 miles)
Total: 248 km (154 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0