Visit to Herrencheimsee - Wobbling Over the Alps - Tandem Tour - September 2022 - CycleBlaze

September 2, 2022

Visit to Herrencheimsee

I promise, we WILL start riding tomorrow!!

This is really a bike trip journal!   But we had one more thing to do before we start riding.  I have wanted to visit Mad King Ludwig’s castle at Herrencheimsee for almost 50 years but have never been able to make it happen. Today was the day!

We ambled back to the train station and bought tickets for Prien am Cheimsee.  After a short train ride, we hopped off at  the station in Prien and started walking the 2k down to the lake.  There’s a small train that offers an easier but not faster alternative.  They were loading up as we walked off and we almost beat them to the lake. 

The shuttle train catches up with us. Within sight of the lake.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The next step was to buy boat tickets out to the island the castle is on.

Our boat
Heart 1 Comment 0

It was a gorgeous day, sunny and cool.  The views south to the mountains were fantastic.

From the upper deck of the boat
Heart 1 Comment 0

Once on the island, we bought tickets for the only English tour of the day and moseyed up to the castle.  Another 1k walk.   

The castle was built as a monument to Louis XIV of France.  It was meant to be a copy of Versailles but only the center section remains.  all the fountains were going as we walked up to the palace.  It was pretty impressive!

Looks kind of Versailles-ish to me!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Waiting for our tour
Heart 4 Comment 0

The tour was great, and the rooms in the palace were very impressive.  Unfortunately we weren’t allowed to take pictures.  So you’ll have to take my word that it was totally worth the wait.  Magnifique!

After the tour, we checked out the Ludwig II museum to learn a bit more about this interesting character.  Unfortunately all of the exhibits were signed in German only, which slowed our progress and dampened our interest somewhat.  But there were still some cool things.  Like paper mock-ups of set designs for Wagner’s operas.

Ludwig was one of Wagner’s patrons it seems
Heart 4 Comment 0

And models and pictures of other castles that Ludwig wanted to build but couldn’t.  (He ran out of money and then died under mysterious circumstances)

This isn’t Neuschwanstein - it’s another castle that didn’t get built.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Scott AndersonNo wonder they called him mad.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

So, enough of Ludwig.   One last fountain…

Heart 3 Comment 0

and then  to the boat…

The boat was a paddle-wheeler on the way back!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Then back to the train station, and back to Rosenheim, accompanied by more rowdy young folks in lederhosen.   Some of them were getting an early start on the festivities by drinking beer on the train platform.

It being Friday night, the squadrons of lederhosen streaming through Rosenheim had turned into battalions.  It was unbelievable!   They must have put on special trains for them!

We again proclaimed our independence.  This time by going out for Mexican food at the « Enchilada Rosenheim ».  Again, highly recommended.

Good Mexican food and good German beer is a winning combination
Heart 2 Comment 0

Tomorrow we ride!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0