Pedalling after the Deluge - Country Roads - CycleBlaze

April 6, 2024

Pedalling after the Deluge

Store Creek to Wellington

Yesterday saw us gratefully accept a lift with my sister from Blayney to her farm north of Orange. 

The rain kept falling steadily all night and into the early hours of this morning. 73 mm fell in Orange. The farm creek  was flowing freely for the first time in months. News reports from Sydney mentioned floods, rescues and a drowning.

But after breakfast, the precipitation at the farm had eased to a misty drizzle. So after a lift to the road, we were back on the bikes and pedalling along The Burrendong Way by 10am. 

In about three hours, we arrived in Wellington and called a halt. From here to the next sizeable town, Gulgong, is about 75km. Too far to comfortably ride today. 

And I was pleased to be able to visit a family friend, Tony Abra, longtime resident of Wellington but originally from my hometown Barraba. Tony and I are also distant cousins so it was great to have a yarn and cup of tea with him this afternoon.

Thanks to brother-in-law Ian who moved us from the farmhouse to Burrendong Way.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Stuart Town store. One of the best village coffee shops we’ve stopped at so far.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Ian WallisGraham, it might be a great village coffee shop but did you get works? Ian
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Graham SmithTo Ian WallisIan I can’t remember what I had other than my standard fare, a vanilla milkshake, but being Stuart Town (aka formerly ’Ironbark’) they should have something on the menu called The Banjo Patterson.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Wellington lunch. 4 Cats.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A screen shot from last night’s TV news broadcast about the ride. Good big picture map of the route.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Macquarie River at Wellington. Plenty of water.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I was pleased to be able visit family friend and distant cousin Tony Abra. We are both from Barraba.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Tony has an extraordinary collection of sheep shearing hand pieces.It’s truly amazing what he’s collected, restored and has on display.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Dinner venue.Owned by Tony’s daughter. I highly recommend the Duck Pancakes.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 km (28 miles)
Total: 295 km (183 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0