Day 15 - San Daniele to Pordenone: More cows, corn and chickens - It's Italy not Macedonia. Oh well. (2015) - CycleBlaze

October 2, 2015

Day 15 - San Daniele to Pordenone: More cows, corn and chickens

My hotel last night was a bit of an extravagance. It was up a bit of a hill, but a smaller hill than the main town of San Daniele, and had a brilliant view. Also a good restaurant on-site. Although half way through breakfast this morning, a man appeared in the breakfast room with his dog - they were both guests and known to the kitchen staff, so regulars - and he proceeded to use his fingers to take prosciutto from the buffet and feed his dog, whilst chatting to the kitchen staff. One of whom then came out and petted the dog on the way to rearranging plates and setting a table. I found this all very confronting!!! Not used to seeing dogs in restaurants and on public transport as a matter of course...

From San Daniele I continued to follow a route influenced by one of the bike routes on the italy-cycle-guide.info website for Friuli-Venezia-Giulia. It took me north west, back across the Tagliamento River and through the hills to Travesio. The roads were very quiet, curvey and full of 'undulating' hills going down to creeks and back up again, through wooded land. Mostly not horribly steep, except when passing through villages. I then turned more west towards Meduno, back to the agricultural landscapes that had become familiar over the last few days.

Soon time to say goodbye to the mountains and start heading south
Heart 0 Comment 0

There was also a fair amount of industry, including a firm called 'Defcon 5' which seems to sell military clothes and accessories (I needed to know). Cavasso Nuovo, the next town, was also advertising itself as 'one of the most beautiful towns in Italy', so obviously the signs are handed out to anyone. But it seemed a nice enough place, and on a positive note, I was able to buy from the local shop a bread roll with mortadella and cheese for €2!

In the distance I could hear helicopters for about an hour. As I got closer, I saw about 10 parashutes come out of one - the kind with two sets of blades. I assume military? I couldn't get the camera out fast enough, and anyway with my lens they would have been like little specks.

At Maniago it was starting to look like rain and the cold day had not warmed up at all (still about 13°). I had originally planned to follow the line of the foothills west and south, in order to approach Pordenone from the west. But the weather, including the still NE wind, encouraged me to cut some corners. I found lots of local roads south towards Pordenone, which took me through some much more prosperous looking towns. Fewer buildings left uninhabited, more floral decoration, a proper town square, people on the streets, and open shops. Around San Leonardo Valcellina they were preparing for a festival on Sunday, so there were flags and bunting which also reduced the greyness of the concrete and stone buildings and sky, adding to the more lively look!

Eating my lunch roll bought earlier in the day in the square. I wonder what the list of names with the heading 1997 on the tower is all about?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Still in San Leonardo. The stones that have been used to construct the older buildings in this area are everywhere to the sides of the cultivated fields. The ground is littered with them.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I enjoyed the ride (and the tailwind for a change), except for the last couple of km when the traffic quickly increased in number and speed.

Another old agricultural and residential building in the area on the way to Pordenone. In most areas buildings of this kind have looked close to abandoned. So great to see one in good condition and use.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I made it!!
Heart 0 Comment 0

I have checked into the fabulous Hotel Residence Italia, with it's well maintained early 1970's decor. Had a bath (woohoo!!), washed heaps of clothes, and am now sitting in the bar across the road from the theatre drinking a wine, more water, and eating the 'free' plate of chips you get included in the service charge. All for €3.10!

Getting organised. Great tiles (blue on the floor!!).
Heart 0 Comment 0

Also the additional entertainment of listening in on three English speaking film-nerds here for the festival. The American described his first Aperol-spritz of the festival as being like the first ball of a new baseball season... Sweet! They are also catching up on a year of gossip about who has moved where and the politics of different film-based institutions. It's very cool!!! And more people keep joining. The latest came with his bag to the bar from the station, rather than go to the hotel first and check in. Excellent priorities!

A friend, who I met at this festival in 1999, arrives tomorrow to share the hotel room. I'm really looking forward to it all now!! The first films are tomorrow night.

Today's ride: 68 km (42 miles)
Total: 678 km (421 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0