Day 16 to 23 - Pordenone: Silent films and train spotters - It's Italy not Macedonia. Oh well. (2015) - CycleBlaze

October 10, 2015

Day 16 to 23 - Pordenone: Silent films and train spotters

The last week I have been at the silent film festival in Pordenone.

Crappy phone photo - my accreditation badge and the catalog/program for the festival!
Heart 0 Comment 0

As always, it has been an interesting mixture of amazing films; new discoveries; and an way of indulging in social history. The highlight (with only one film left to go) was for me a 1925 version of Les Miserables, accompanied by Neil Brand on piano. I have also enjoyed some Douglas Fairbanks silliness! There are many very keen people at this festival - some much like train spotters!

On Tuesday, I took the morning off and cycled to Sacile and back. The festival was held in Sacile for about 6 years while the theatre in Pordenone was being rebuilt. It was lovely to go back, as the smaller town made such a wonderful setting for the festival, so seeing the landmarks again was great. I meandered there and back over about 40km. So a nice little bit of exercise in the week that involved most of the hours of the day and evening sitting in cinema chairs. I meant to go out again at least one more morning, but the film schedule ended up being too tempting!

The streets of Pordenone, on my last morning. It's Sunday and very quiet. The tape blocking off the streets is for a half-marathon that will finish in the main square, about 1km away.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The old section of Pordenone is quite large and mostly car free. This is a fairly well-off part of Italy and there are many fancy clothes shops and great restaurants, including hidden away in small laneways like this one.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The leaders of the half-marathon, at about 20km. These two were minutes ahead of the rest of the pack!
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the many palazzi in the old part of town. Now a public building.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As the locals came past, supporters yelled out their names and cheered. It was quite fun to watch the mix of runners. Those that looked very comfortable and like they were having fun; those who had zero body fat but looked completely miserable and 'tight' as they ran; and those for whom it was an absolute struggle. I can't even imagine being able to run that far. My knees would explode!
Heart 0 Comment 0
A closed communal bath-house. I wonder when it closed? Love the building.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow, I will catch the train back to Milan and then the next day fly to Australia.

Today's ride: 40 km (25 miles)
Total: 718 km (446 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0