Four Miles into the Future - Both Sides of Paradise - CycleBlaze

December 1, 2014

Four Miles into the Future

Four Miles into the Future

As we left the small but bustling town of Aungban on our way to Heho Airport I noticed four teenage girls get on a motorbike in a front yard. A few minutes later they passed us, their long dark hair flowing all over the place. I noticed how nicely dressed they all were in casual western style clothes. I also noticed how carefree and happy they seemed to be.

I probably wouldn't have thought about them again if we hadn't passed them by the side of the road about four miles outside of Aungban. They had parked their motorbike by the edge of the road and there they stood cracking and spitting sunflower seed shells. As I rode past them I smiled and they shyly smiled in return.

When we were well past them Andrea said,, "Funny little group. Hey, let's go eat sunflower seeds by the side of the highway!"

She was right, it was a fun and funny little group of girls but what they represent is huge. Standing next to the highway just out of town to eat some sunflower seeds might seem pretty boring to Americans but this represents new-found luxury in the New Myanmar. They are the new emerging middle class in Burma. Just a couple of years ago probably all of the girls were too involved with chores to be able to go together on a little ride. They wouldn't have even had access to a motorbike. And they certainly wouldn't have been wearing nice new jeans.

They seemed so relaxed and happy to have the time and freedom to go somewhere, anywhere together - four best friends. It didn't matter to them where they went, the fact that they went is the amazing thing.

I will always remember the four girls by the side of the road happily snapping sunflower seed shells. The New Myanmar is emerging, sometimes awful, but in this case quite beautiful.

Lovebruce

Heart 3 Comment 0

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0