DAY 17 - South Beach to Aberdeen WA - Canadian "Heavy Rescue" Solo Tour 2021 - "Detoured Again" - CycleBlaze

August 18, 2021

DAY 17 - South Beach to Aberdeen WA

Get r Done

Day 17 - started out waking up to the sound of Pacific Ocean waves hitting the shoreline at South Beach Campground.   It was cool and overcast and I really wanted to stay in my sleeping bag with my beanie over my eyes.

But, I packed up and returned to 101 South toward Aberdeen, a solid 70-mile trip through forests and logging fields.  I took advantage of Queets Trading Post to get coffee and some snacks.  There were suppose yo be many services along the way.

While I was there Scott pulled in on his Surly Disc Trucker pulling a trailer with about 50 pounds of gear on it.  (My load was also about 50.)  He had done 18 miles already this morning and was also heading to Aberdeen.   He politely asked if we could ride together and I said let’s do it. So off we went two southbound bike travelers.

Scott, a lawyer, had traveled by bike from Arkansas visiting all the National Parks along the way. I think he said he had already logged over 3,000 miles.   Scott was a motivator for me because this route was boringly beautiful.  I mean not much going on, but stump fields and trees.  There were a view vistas. 

I'm not joking about the shoulders.
Heart 3 Comment 3
Tamora StumSo many new friends!! Keep having fun!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith A. SpanglerBrandon, most motorists were very kind. I did think this image said a lot though.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

The terrain was rolling with a road with “come and go” shoulders.  Traffic included RVs, pickups, box trucks and logging trucks.  Not to many dump trucks this time.

Anyway, taking pictures was a priority today, it was getting to the destination. 

First stop was to change out of our warm cloths into cool ones.
Heart 2 Comment 3
Keith AdamsI see what I think are solar panels atop your rear panniers. Were you using them during each day's ride (I assume so), and were they helpful in keeping things charged? What were you charging?

I have one, but am not sure whether I'll bring it with me on this summer's trip. Your experience may help me decide.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith A. SpanglerTo Keith AdamsKeith, thank you for writing. Yes, I use them daily to charge battery packs. The Voltaic Systems panels (6 watts each) are wired together using a "Y" cable. I charge the Voltaic V50 battery that has two USB ports per battery. I carry two batteries. (Links are below.)

The panels are rugged and light and perform well if you have sun. I first started using one which was mounted behind my saddle. Voltaic makes panel systems that can go direct to devices, but this setup works good for me. You can charge from the battery at the same time as using the solar. (Note: Customer service has been outstanding too; my experience.) Let me know if I can provide anything else.

https://voltaicsystems.com
https://voltaicsystems.com/6-watt-panel/
https://voltaicsystems.com/v50/
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith AdamsTo Keith A. SpanglerThanks Keith.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

 Scott was a very strong cyclist who knew his machine and his comfortable pace.  We made a few stops, but nothing to long.   I think we road well together, I hope he felt the same.

We arrived in Aberdeen with a riding time of 6-plus hours at 10-11 pace per my Garmin.   Elevation was 3,500, nothing major.  

Scott and I both had separate warmshowers.org host in Aberdeen.  His WS host actually came out and escorted us into town.   That was so nice.  

Scott and I are going to meetup in the morning for coffee and hang out for the day.   On Friday I plan to meet my son at a nearby state park to camp out, then back on the road.

See you soon!

Today's ride: 70 miles (113 km)
Total: 557 miles (896 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Tamora StumGive Mr. B and Dan a hug from me. Love T
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith A. SpanglerI will for sure
Reply to this comment
2 years ago