Tuesday in Ljubljana - We're going on an adventure... - CycleBlaze

May 23, 2023

Tuesday in Ljubljana

Tobias treated us with his usual rest day 5:30 start, so when we walked in to town at 9:30 and everywhere still seemed closed we felt a bit out of sync. We have visited Ljubljana several times over the last 6 years, so it feels familiar enough to not really need to use a map to get about. Most of the city center is pedestrian streets so it's pretty safe having Tobias on his bike, though he does need to learn to watch out for other peoples ankles and bike traffic. After a coffee we headed up to the castle with Tobias on our shoulders. There are great views over the city and yet more space for Tobias to race around.

We picked up lunch from the market and Tobias charmed the fruit seller and managed to snaffle extra raspberries, strawberries, and cherries when all I was buying was a box of apricots. James picked up some excellent sour dough bread still warm from the oven.

Post nap we headed out to Tivoli park to find Tobias a slide. Lots of people in the Slovenian countryside have beautiful wooden play sets that look like they belong in a fancy public playground. It's been a lot of explaining that we can't stop and play on every slide, especially when they are on someone's lawn. Once we got there he was much more interested in the sand and water than the slide, but he did have a great time until the thunderstorm arrived and we had to shelter under a slide. "Noisy thunder" was repeated all evening right until we put him into bed tonight. It wasn't due to stop for more than half an hour so we just dressed him in merino and ran through the pouring rain back into town. We were drenched in minutes and Tobias thought it was great fun bouncing along in James' arms while I carried the bike. Between walking up to the castle and running through the city we haven't really done a great job resting our legs.

Rohan and Max had secured a sheltered spot at a cafe and had enough clothes to keep Tobias warm so we had a beer while we waited the rain out. It's due to rain a bit more tomorrow, but after that we should be good for the rest of the week. In any case these thunderstorms are a bit warmer than what we encountered last week.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0