Thursday in Montecatini Alto - We're going on an adventure... - CycleBlaze

June 15, 2023

Thursday in Montecatini Alto

Our morning didn't start out great with me tearing my hair out trying to work out why our very tired kid continues to wake up at 5am. I think part of the issue might be that it's about 25 degrees when we put him to bed and about 15 when he wakes up, so pretty tough to dress him to not overheat, but also not be chilly in the mornings. Or the light and the birds at 5am tells him that it's morning, no matter how much his mother tries to convince him otherwise.

Knowing we would be handling a sensitive little human we opted to stay around the camp and do several loads of laundry and look at the tractor and the digger all morning. We also moved the tent to a spot that got shade around midday to try and cool it down a bit. It was a success and he managed to sleep properly for a few hours and wake up in good enough spirits that we would all enjoy a trip down to Montecatini Terme. This was extra useful because we had no food and there are no supermarkets up here (except the limited and expensive one at the campground).

It was hot as we walked the 20 min up into the actual town of Montecatini Alto and we just missed the funicular. Luckily though this put us at the front of the queue so we caught a ride down with a stunning view. Tobias loved it and was exclaiming about it the whole time and immediately wanted to get back on at the bottom. Instead we walked into the supermarket in Montecatini Terme. It was a funny city, it felt really pedestrian friendly with lots of car free pedestrian streets and cafes to sit out on the footpath, but there was barely anyone around and a fair few hotels didn't look open at all. 

We were first in line again to go back up so enjoyed the view the other way. We stopped for an ice-cream in the main square of Montecatini Alto. It's a super cute town full of old buildings and restaurants. It would have been nice to stay for dinner but instead we got back to camp and Tobias off to bed.

 We're moving on tomorrow, though we have enjoyed our stay here (when the weather has been good!). The other guests at the campsite are mostly Dutch and German grandparents so they have spoilt us with strawberries with Tobias and we've had lots of nice conversations about our trip. James befriended one couple enough to ask for a top up for our oil and washing liquid, and another couple offered to charge all our devices. It's not a huge day, with just one short climb near Montecarlo between here and Lucca.

James was fixing the tube so Tobias wanted to fix his bike.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Walking back down to the campsite from Montecatini Alto.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We filled this line twice with washing today, no thunderstorms mean things are finally drying.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0