Cognin-les-Gorges to Grenoble - We're going on an adventure... - CycleBlaze

July 6, 2023

Cognin-les-Gorges to Grenoble

Both James and I were fast asleep when Tobias announced cheerfully "all done bed" from his cot. We've all been sleeping better in the tent recently, it's a bit warmer in the mornings and I guess a bit of practise. I'm sleeping as well as I do in a bed and Tobias is sleeping until 6:30 or 7am which is much better than 5am.

There was a French couple with their 2 month old parked near us last night and we got chatting in the morning. They are taking a 2 month trip around the country visiting friends and family. Tobias was very intrigued by the baby and kept wandering off to go awkwardly stare at them. It was helpful for our packing.

The day started with a short "what are you doing Komoot?" where it took us down a steep walking track rather than a quiet sealed road, but we survived and continued our descent through more walnuts to Rovon where we crossed the Isére again and joined the Belle via cycle route that we will follow for our next few riding days. The path was smooth and car free and nicely shaded by the tall trees so we made really good progress and covered more than 20km by the time we reached a picnic spot for lunch. This in contrast to some of the climbing days where we go just 6km before we have to stop.

We were joined by a French cycle tourist heading home to Chambery. She was also heading to Grenoble for the evening and invited us to come stay with her (she hosts on warmshowers) if we passed through. Tobias enjoyed riding his bike around and did a fair bit of practise of stopping and checking no bikes were coming before crossing the bike path. It seems a bit less high risk than car roads. He took a pretty hefty crash off the picnic table and grazed both his elbows and we found bruises on his ribs in the shower tonight. He bounced back okay though.

On a mostly flat road where we don't have to stop for intersections we can get our bikes rolling at a good pace and after only 30 minutes we reached Saint-Égrève where I quickly ran into a baby store to try and find some new togs for Tobias. No luck but he was still asleep when I got back out so we got back on the cycle path and headed towards Grenoble. We opted to follow the river route all the way round then take a single road in to our apartment. It was great being in the green along the river rather than with all the traffic. Probably cooler too with all the trees. In general the bike paths on Grenoble have been great and there are lots and lots of people riding around.

Our apartment is on the second floor with spiral stairs and no lift. Not the worst, but not so easy. James did all the bikes and I managed all the panniers in 2 trips (and for one I was also carrying a toddler). There was a supermarket across the street so I headed over with Tobias to get beer and chips and we managed to sit and chill for about an hour with the tour de France on. Tobias is practising his supporting, but I think he's going to be more excited about the motorbikes than the riders next week.

We found a great outdoors store a short walk from here so we decided to do some of our chores tonight. We needed some more paracord for the tent pegs and both Tobias and I broke our sporks so needed a replacement. James' silk sleeping bag liner is on its last legs, but the only replacement option was very expensive so we decided to see if it will last a bit longer. It had everything we needed and more, so that's one less job for tomorrow.

Tobias was a bit tired and not very aware on his bike tonight and he very nearly took out a lady on the footpath (she had to stop him with her hands) so we carried him home which he wasn't so happy about. It's very hard to teach spatial awareness and takes lots of practise. I guess we'll get there eventually, he's very good at stopping for roads now. Halfway through dinner he asked to go to bed so I guess he's feeling a bit tired like us and ready for a rest day.

Thanks Komoot
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Everything we eat these days seems to be the official whatever of the tour de france
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 44 km (27 miles)
Total: 2,164 km (1,344 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0