Rainy day on foot in Amsterdam - France and the Low Countries - CycleBlaze

September 18, 2022

Rainy day on foot in Amsterdam

Van Gogh, Vermeer and Buxtehude

We're feeling more human after a good night's sleep. It's a rainy day and we're grateful to our hosts for leaving two umbrellas in the apartment.

The trams and buses run everywhere so we leave the bikes locked up and decide to walk and use the transit system today.

You can buy tickets for Amsterdam trams and buses on the 9292 app.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We catch a bus to the Van Gogh Museum and spend two fascinating hours exploring his work.

Van Gogh wanted to be known for his sunflowers. Glorious.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Had to have the scarf at the Van Gogh Museum shop, inspired by his Irises.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Charmaine RuppoltI recently checked out the Van Gogh Experience - a traveling exhibit about Van Gogh and his work. Interesting. I also have a Bike Friday like you all do! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Janice BranhamTo Charmaine RuppoltWe came away from this trip with so much more appreciation for our Fridays. Great for all kinds of terrain and they are fun!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

From there we take a tram up to Centraal Station and listen to the Rick Steves audio tour, a great free app for our walk around the city.

Centraal Station
Heart 0 Comment 0

We happened to be in De Nieuwe Kerk as the organist began a mid-day concert, filling the church with Buxtehude's Preludium and Canzona in D.

Pipe organ in De Nieuwe Kerk, built in 1409.
Heart 6 Comment 2
Charmaine RuppoltI love checking out churches along the way! Very pretty inside and a nice restful stop!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Janice BranhamTo Charmaine RuppoltI agree Charmaine, can't resist them. Between the stained glass, pipe organs, soaring arches, sacred works of art, I find they are always worth a stop.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Fun narrow passageways in the old city
Heart 3 Comment 0
Beautiful statue at the Beguinhof, refuge for a lay order of Christian women
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lanes for 4 modes of travel - sidewalk, bike lane, car lane, canal
Heart 2 Comment 0
Vermeer's luminous Milkmaid at the Rijksmuseum
Heart 3 Comment 0
Great Hall at the Rijksmuseum
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

Our twilight canal boat tour was cancelled due to rain but tomorrow looks better - for boating and biking. The Hotel Americain was so much fun yesterday that we head there for dinner and discover Judy and Steve who we met at lunch yesterday.

Fun dinner with Judy and Steve at the Hotel Americain
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0