Amsterdam by bike and boat - France and the Low Countries - CycleBlaze

September 19, 2022

Amsterdam by bike and boat

Speed sight-seeing

The sun peeks through the rain clouds in the morning. Barry has fixed my front brake; it just needed an adjustment after getting knocked around on my low-speed crash two days ago. We head out for a series of ride-bys in the old city. It feels like speed-dating the sights.

Posthoonkerk,1860, designed by the same architect as Centraal Station and the Rijksmuseum.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Stationsplein at Centraal Station has free parking for thousands of bikes.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We heard the carillon bells at De Oude Kerk - the old church. Built in 1306, it's the oldest building in the city.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Marijuana Museum on the Red Light District. We were curious, but didn't take the time for a tour.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Get your tulip bulbs at the Bloemenmarkt, a block-long flower market
Heart 3 Comment 0
Amsterdam is made up of 90 islands connected by 1500 bridges over the canals. Its all so pretty.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heineken? Yes please. We didn't see many other folks wearing bike helmets. Felt pretty dorky but I'm keeping it on.
Heart 4 Comment 3
Rachael AndersonI’m glad to hear your helmet. I had a bad concussion on a bike path but fortunately I had my helmet on!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Charmaine RuppoltALWAYS a good idea to wear your helmet! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Karen PoretTo Charmaine RuppoltThe helmet lets the natives know you “aren’t”, but when you crash you are safer! Unlike a comment from a Nederlander who told me that they don’t wear helmets because they ( the cyclists) know “how to ride safely”..;(
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

Car traffic on our route is light, and bikes are everywhere. You have to watch out for them coming from all directions. Riders seem skilled in avoiding crashes with each other and somehow it all works.

After a quick visit to the Stedelik Contemporary Art Museum for a little Picasso, Matisse and Beckmann, we ride south away from the crowds along the Amstel River for awhile.

Easy cruise on the bike path along the river, a nice break from the hustle and bustle in the city.
Heart 4 Comment 0
De Riekermolen on the Amstel River, built in 1636, was one of the windmills used to pump the water out, creating the polder lands.
Heart 2 Comment 0

In the evening we board a boat with 8 other Americans for a cruise through the canals. It's a fun way to see the city from another perspective.

The different shapes of the gables at the building tops reflect the styles of the time. More than just decorative features, they supported winches to lift things up into the buildings.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lighted archways ahead are the "Seven Bridges"
Heart 2 Comment 0

We split a pizza on the way back to the apartment and start packing up for tomorrow's ride to Delft. Three days has been a nice introduction to Amsterdam and there's much to come back for. Hope we get the chance!


Today's ride: 26 km (16 miles)
Total: 49 km (30 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0