We’re stuffed and need a rest day - Two Good Blokes tackle the Munda Biddi Trail - CycleBlaze

April 1, 2024

We’re stuffed and need a rest day

Quinninup to Pemberton

Heart 1 Comment 0


This is our 9th day riding in a row and the 2 good blokes are 2 buggered blokes. With no decent accommodation available over Easter we’ve ploughed on and picked Pemberton to have a lay day tomorrow. 

We had dinner at the Quinninup Tavern with Jörg who very generously donated to our fundraiser for Cancer Council research.He’s a really interesting guy, working in the mines for Twiggy Forrest as a hydrologist. He’s in charge of overseeing the high pressure pumping of water from the aquifers above the coal seams at a rate of 11,000 litres per second. That is some pumping system!

The Quinninup tourist park had a field of concrete garden sculptures, but there was gnome mention of it in the tourist brochure
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0

Our Chalet in the famed ski fields of Quinninup was rustic at best, but better than pitching a tent. It also made for a much quicker getaway as there’s so much less packing up to do. We were trying to get to Pemberton by lunchtime so we’re on the road by 8am. It’s cooled off markedly so for the first time I’ve started with 2 layers.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Pete suggested I’m short enough to just keep riding straight on through
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

After a spectacular single track out of Quinninup it was a mix of fire trails and really sticky pea gravel roads. A diversion for a scheduled burn put us on the tarmac for some cheap kilometres before more single track into the small town of Pemberton.

Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
A cross sectional view of the pea gravel road dedicated to Amy 32 of Bungendore
Heart 5 Comment 0
Damn, we missed it
Heart 2 Comment 0

We make Pemberton by 1pm, down a malt-less chocolate milkshake and book straight into the Pemberton Hotel for a 2 night stay.

Pete reluctantly participating in the traditional Easter egg hunt
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride: 36 km (22 miles)
Total: 718 km (446 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 0