A dissertation on pea gravel - Two Good Blokes tackle the Munda Biddi Trail - CycleBlaze

March 31, 2024

A dissertation on pea gravel

Manjimup to Quinninup

Heart 0 Comment 0
“This is pea gravel. Don’t be afraid. Don’t be scared.”
Heart 4 Comment 0


Amy, 32 of Bungendore writes “Dear 2 Good Blokes, I find your blog childish and immature. You haven’t mentioned pea gravel in over a week. I’m really interested in learning more about it but all I’m getting is drivel and pictures of trees. Lift your game. Sincerely Amy”.

Dear Amy, thanks for your kind words and fascinating question. Pea gravel goes by many names including CM16, pea stone, pea pebbles, pea rock area stone gravel. These small fluid stones, weighing on average 1.27 grams, become small and rounded because of rapidly flowing water over a rocky bed. This is called fluvially derived aggregate. As the stones are tumbled over each over they break down, producing a rounding effect. 
I hope we have helped you Amy.

Sincerely 2 Good Blokes  P.S. Thanks for sending in a black and white Polaroid photo. We love putting a face to a name.

Heart 5 Comment 0

We secured the last remaining room in the Manjimup Hotel last night for the bargain price of $100. After tucking into bed by 9pm after a big days riding it soon became apparent why it was the only room left. Conveniently situated between the disco and the creaky staircase, with all the service machinery located within arms reach outside our window made for a shitty nights sleep. The main air-conditioning unit badly needed a service and seemed to come on just after the main hot water system convulsed into action on the hour every hour. They also had a water hammer issue.The disco was pumping being a Saturday night, and when the doof doof finished about 2am half the hotel guests continued the party on the staircase.

Nice view as well
Heart 1 Comment 0

We woke to drizzle and cool temperatures. Straight across the road was a coffee roaster where we stayed for most of the morning waiting for the supermarket to open at 11am.

Irish Philip, another solo rider, gives an animated version of his story of the day. Rivalling Dr Bob, his story was about an Irish lottery winner who bought numerous Mercedes dealerships in Macedonia. You had to be there.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Greg Robertsahh, the eyerish. Gotta love the little feckers...
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

The rain cleared and we headed out into the forest with Quinninup in our sights. It was a bit of a transition day with a lot of new growth forest and pine plantations where massive logging must have taken place in the last 50 years.

Pete the drone whisperer
Heart 5 Comment 0
Having lunch on the trail, blocking Jörg’s path. He joined us for dinner in Quinninup
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Despite our late departure we made Quinninup by mid afternoon, having confronted two nasty looking dogs of unknown origin on the outskirts of town. I fended them off with my bike as a shield before the owner came running out apologising.

Quinninup consists of a tavern and a caravan park. The park was packed as it’s Easter so the best we could hope for was a campsite which we secured for $50 for the 2 of us. As we rode around trying to scout a place to pitch our tent we ran into  Jörg who passed us whilst we were eating lunch. He secured a chalet for $60. So I doubled back to see if there were any other chalets vacant, which there were. “Great, how much” to which the owner replied $130. “So how come the other guy paid $60?”

“We felt sorry for him” I got her down to $100 and a donation.

Pete had a similar issue trying to book a table for dinner at the tavern. “We don’t take bookings. Come early as it’ll be busy”. “But there’s about 10 tables with reserved signs on them” “Is there?” “ OK then we can do it”. Of course the place was half full and stayed that way until we left.

Heart 3 Comment 0

With no disco at the caravan park tonight we hopefully will get a decent nights sleep.

Today's ride: 41 km (25 miles)
Total: 682 km (424 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 15
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Amy RobertsDear 2 Good Blokes,

Your pea gravel expertise has struck a chord with me, much like a fiddle player striking the perfect (!) note. I'm on the edge of my seat, eagerly awaiting your forthcoming pea gravel extravaganza, ready to dive deeper into the riveting world of fluvial symphonies and pebble percussion. Until then, I'll be practicing my air fiddle and pondering the profound mysteries of gravelly tunes.

Can't wait for the next riveting installment!

Yours sarcastically,
Amy (29 actually)
Reply to this comment
1 month ago